AMENDMENT FOR PRINTED BILL
___________________ moved that SB 167 be amended as follows:
On the printed bill, delete everything after the enacting clause and insert:
" Section 1. There is hereby established a taskforce to study and make legislative proposals regarding alternatives to imprisonment for those convicted of the crime of ingestion of controlled substances. The task force shall be comprised of fifteen members, with any vacancy on the task force to be filled in the same manner as the original appointment, and including:
(1) Three members of the Senate, two of whom to be members of the Republican party and one of whom to be a member of the Democrat party;
(2) Three members of the House of Representatives, two of whom to be members of the Republican party and one of whom to be a member of the Democrat party;
(3) The secretary of the Department of Social Services;
(4) The secretary of the Department of Corrections;
(5) The attorney general;
(6) Two members to be appointed by the Governor who are members of the law enforcement community, including a sheriff and a state's attorney;
(7) Two members from the Unified Judicial System; and
(8) Two members who are representatives of the South Dakota Association of County Commissioners, including a county commissioner.
Section 2. The task force shall study and evaluate:
(1) The crime of unauthorized ingestion of controlled drugs or substances under § 22-42-5.1, including the number of arrests, convictions, and rates of recidivism since the law was enacted in 2013;
(2) Alternatives to imprisonment for any person charged and convicted under § 22-42-5.1 more adequately to assist the person with substance abuse issues; and
(3) Possible funding alternatives as well as the financial ramifications through the reclassification of the penalty under § 22-42-5.1 from a felony to a misdemeanor on the state, the counties of the state, law enforcement, substance abuse treatment facilities, and any other interested person that may be affected by the reclassification of the penalty.
Section 3. That the code be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
The task force shall be under the supervision of the Executive Board of the Legislative Research Council and staffed and funded not in excess of twenty-one thousand dollars.
Section 4. That the code be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
The task force shall report to the Legislature and the Governor before the beginning of the Ninety-Fifth Legislative Session, including any draft legislation or policy recommendations."