REPORT OF CONFERENCE COMMITTEE
The Conference Committee respectfully reports that it has considered SB 108 and the amendments thereto made by the House, and the disagreement of the two houses thereon, and recommends that SB 108 be amended as follows:
On the House engrossed bill, delete everything after the enacting clause and insert:
" Section 1. The Department of Human Services and the Department of Labor and Regulation shall jointly conduct a study of services and insurance coverage for the treatment of autism spectrum disorder for children. The study shall include input from families, autism advocacy groups, legislators, state policy leaders, and other stakeholders. The study shall examine:
(1) The issues related to the cost of requiring insurance plans to cover the screening, diagnosis, and treatment of autism spectrum disorder for children, including current autism care services and insurance coverage available in South Dakota;
(2) The availability and certification requirements of service providers;
(3) The accepted treatment protocols and clinical and other outcomes associated with such treatments;
(4) The cost effectiveness of treatments and insurance coverage in surrounding states;
(5) The overall cost per insured for coverage of applied behavior analysis;
(6) The current costs incurred to the state related to autism, including treatment and associated educational costs; and
(7) Other issues as appropriate.
The departments shall submit a report with findings and any recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature no later than November 15, 2014.
Section 2. The Department of Human Services and the Department of Labor and Regulation may contract with a consultant for the study required in section 1 of this Act. The consultant shall have demonstrated expertise in autism spectrum disorder and in evaluating the issues relating to the insurance coverage for the treatment of autism spectrum disorder for children.
Section 3. Any agency of the state or any organization that has a contract with the state shall cooperate with the Department of Human Services and the Department of Labor and Regulation or its consultant for the purpose of providing facts, figures, data, projections and other information needed to complete the study."
And that the title to SB 108 be amended as follows:
On page 1, line 1, of the House engrossed bill, delete everything after "Act to" and insert "require a study of services and insurance coverage for the treatment of autism spectrum disorder for children.".
On page 1, delete lines 2 and 3.
Respectfully submitted, Respectfully submitted,
Brock Greenfield Timothy Rave
House Committee Chair Senate Committee Chair