State of South Dakota
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY, 2019
||HOUSE BILL NO. 1051 |
Introduced by: Representatives Deutsch, Beal, Brunner, Dennert, Finck, Glanzer, Goodwin, Greenfield (Lana), Gross, Jensen (Kevin), Johns, Johnson (David), Latterell, Mills, Otten (Herman), Perry, Peterson (Kent), Peterson (Sue), Rasmussen, Reed, Schoenfish, Steele, Willadsen, York, and Zikmund and Senators Bolin, Blare, Curd, DiSanto, Klumb, Maher, Nelson, Novstrup, Otten (Ernie), Rusch, Solano, Stalzer, Steinhauer, and Wiik
FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to establish the South Dakota state seal of civics literacy program.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That chapter 13-1 be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
There is established in the Department of Education the South Dakota state seal of civics literacy program. The purpose of the program is to recognize high school students who, upon graduating from high school, have attained a high level of proficiency in civics. The program is voluntary. Any school district, nonpublic school, or person providing alternative instruction to a student pursuant to § 13-27-3 may participate in the program by notifying the secretary of education. The program shall be implemented in the 2020-2021 school year.
Section 2. That chapter 13-1 be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
Each participating school district, nonpublic school, and person providing alternative instruction shall:
(1) Identify each student who meets the requirements of the state seal of civics literacy program; and
(2) Affix a reproduction of the seal of the State of South Dakota to the diploma and note the receipt of the seal on the grade transcript of each student who meets the program requirements.
Section 3. That chapter 13-1 be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
To implement the state seal of civics literacy program, the Department of Education shall deliver to each participating school district, nonpublic school, and person providing alternative instruction full color reproductions of the seal of the State of South Dakota in a size large enough for the state motto to be legible.
Section 4. That chapter 13-1 be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
The Board of Education Standards shall, in rules promulgated pursuant to chapter 1-26, establish the requirements a student shall meet in order to be awarded a state seal of civics literacy. The requirements shall exceed the social studies requirements for graduation established by the board under § 13-1-12.1, and shall, at a minimum, include demonstrated competencies in the following:
(1) An understanding of the basic principles of American democracy and how those principles are applied in a republican form of government;
(2) An understanding of the Constitutions of the United States and of this state;
(3) Knowledge of the founding documents and how those documents shape the nature and function of the government; and
(4) An understanding of landmark United States Supreme Court cases and the impact of those cases on law and society.
In developing the requirements, the board shall review the best practices for civic learning
and engagement and solicit the advice of current classroom teachers who teach the subjects of history or social science, including government, in a secondary school in the state.