State of South Dakota
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY, 2013
This bill has been extensively amended (hoghoused) and may no longer be consistent with the original intention of the sponsor.
||HOUSE ENGROSSED NO. HB 1126 - 02/05/2013 |
Introduced by: Representatives Hoffman, Cronin, Erickson, Feickert, Feinstein, Haggar (Don), Hansen, Hickey, May, Nelson, and Sly and Senators Tidemann, Heineman (Phyllis), and Kirkeby
FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to revise the massage therapy licensing requirements.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA: Section 1. That § 36-35-12 be amended to read as follows:
36-35-12. The board
may shall issue a license to engage in the practice of massage to any person who submits an application form and the nonrefundable application fee as approved in § 36-35-17 and who demonstrates the following qualifications:
(1) Eighteen years of age or older;
(2) Good moral character;
(3) High school diploma or equivalent;
(4) Completion of no less than five hundred hours of training or study in the practice of massage with a facility or instructor recognized by the board;
(5) Absence of unprofessional conduct;
(6) Professional liability insurance coverage with limits at or above an amount set by the board; and
(7) Passing score on an examination administered by a national certification board approved by the board in rules promulgated pursuant to chapter 1-26.
A license issued under this chapter is valid for a period of one year from the date it was issued and automatically expires unless it is renewed. The board may refuse to grant a license to any person based on failure to demonstrate the requirements of this section. An applicant may appeal the denial of a license in compliance with chapter 1-26.