State of South Dakota
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY, 2019
This bill has been extensively amended (hoghoused) and may no longer be consistent with the original intention of the sponsor.
||HOUSE STATE AFFAIRS ENGROSSED NO. HB 1173 - 2/21/2019 |
Introduced by: Representatives Jensen (Kevin), Brunner, Frye-Mueller, Goodwin, Hammock, Livermont, and Pischke and Senators Russell and Stalzer
FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to permit the possession of firearms by certain employees.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That chapter 22-14 be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
An employer, whether public or private, may not prohibit an employee from keeping a legally owned and lawfully possessed firearm locked inside a private motor vehicle in a parking lot under the employer's control.
The prohibition in this section does not apply to:
(1) Any property under federal jurisdiction;
(2) Any school district;
(3) Any correctional facility;
(4) Any entity providing shelter or programs to victims of domestic violence or sexual assault;
(5) The South Dakota Human Services Center;
(6) The South Dakota Developmental Center; or
(7) Any employer that is required to restrict firearms in accordance with the terms of a federal contract.