State of South Dakota
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY, 2017
||HOUSE STATE AFFAIRS ENGROSSED NO. SB 171 - 3/6/2017 |
Introduced by: Senators Greenfield (Brock), Curd, Ewing, Frerichs, Heinert, Kennedy, Killer, Langer, Maher, Nelson, Nesiba, Otten (Ernie), Partridge, Peters, and Sutton and Representatives Bartling, Ahlers, Glanzer, Gosch, Greenfield (Lana), Haggar, Lust, McCleerey, Mickelson, Peterson (Kent), Peterson (Sue), Qualm, Rhoden, Rounds, and York
FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to establish the Government Accountability Task Force to study campaign finance and to declare an emergency.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That the code be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
There is hereby established the Government Accountability Task Force to examine the issues of campaign finance and to review current related statutory protections and recent legislative changes; and to propose potential legislation to the Ninety-third Legislature. The task force shall consist of the following members:
(1) The president pro tempore of the Senate shall appoint two members of the Senate;
(2) The speaker of the House of Representatives shall appoint two members of the House of Representatives;
(3) The minority leader of the Senate shall appoint two members of the Senate;
(4) The minority leader of the House of Representatives shall appoint two members of
the House of Representatives;
(5) The Governor shall appoint one member;
(6) The secretary of state shall appoint one member who has significant experience related to working with campaign finance; and
(7) The attorney general shall appoint one member.
Each member shall be a registered voter of the state as of November 8, 2016, and shall currently reside in the state.
Section 2. That the code be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
The initial appointments shall be made no later than May 1, 2017. Each appointee shall serve until December 31, 2017. If there is a vacancy on the task force, the vacancy shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment.
Section 3. That the code be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
The task force shall be under the supervision of the Executive Board of the Legislative Research Council and staffed and funded as an interim legislative committee. The Executive Board shall designate the chair and vice chair of the task force.
Section 4. Expenses incurred by the task force authorize pursuant to this Act shall be paid from the legislative priority pilot program contingency fund.
Section 5. This Act is repealed on December 31, 2017.
Section 6. Whereas, this Act is necessary for the support of the state government and its existing public institutions, an emergency is hereby declared to exist, and this Act shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage and approval.