20:51:25:02. Review of patient's record. A pharmacist shall review the patient's record at the time a prescription drug order or prescription refill request is presented for dispensing for the purpose of identifying any of the following conditions:
(1) Overutilization, use of a drug in quantities or for durations that put the patient at risk of an adverse medical result;
(2) Underutilization, use of a drug by a patient in an insufficient quantity to achieve a desired therapeutic goal;
(3) Therapeutic duplication, use of two or more drugs from the same therapeutic class in such a way that the combined daily dose puts the patient at risk of an adverse medical result;
(4) Drug-disease contraindications, the potential for or the occurrence of an undesirable alteration of the therapeutic effect of a given drug because of the presence of a disease condition in the patient or an adverse effect of the drug on the patient's disease condition;
(5) Adverse drug-drug interactions, the potential for or the occurrence of an adverse medical effect as a result of the patient using two or more drugs together;
(6) Incorrect drug dosage, the dosage lies outside the daily dosage range specified in predetermined standards listed in 42 C.F.R. § 456.703(f)(1), published in 57 Fed. Reg. 49,408 (November 2, 1992) as necessary to achieve therapeutic benefit. Dosage range is the strength multiplied by the quantity dispensed divided by days supply;
(7) Incorrect duration of drug treatment, the number of days of prescribed therapy exceeds or falls short of the recommendations contained in predetermined standards listed in 42 C.F.R. § 456.703(f)(1), published in 57 Fed. Reg. 49,408 (November 2, 1992);
(8) Drug-allergy interactions, the significant potential for or the occurrence of an allergic reaction as a result of drug therapy; or
(9) Clinical abuse or misuse.
The pharmacist shall attempt to avoid or resolve any problems identified during the review and may, if necessary, consult with the practitioner.
Source: 19 SDR 93, effective December 31, 1992.
General Authority:SDCL 36-11-68.
Law Implemented:SDCL 36-11-68.
Back to 20:51:25