20:81:01:01. Definitions. Terms defined in SDCL 42-12-7.1 have the same meaning when used in this article. In addition, terms in this article mean:
(1) "Applicant," any person, club, corporation, association, or entity seeking registration, licensure, or renewal of a registration or license with the Commission;
(2) "Amateur," a contestant who has not received any remuneration, directly or indirectly, in any bout he has participated in;
(3) "Announcer," a person responsible for announcing the names of the officials, the contestants, the contestants' weight, and the decisions of the referee and judges during a contest;
(4) "Bout," one contest involving boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts contestants;
(5) "Contest," a bout or group of bouts, competition, or exhibition, involving contestants competing in boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts;
(6) "Contestant," any human being who enters the ring or fenced fighting area to compete against another human being during a boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts bout;
(7) "Cut man," a second designated by the Commission to attend to contestants between rounds. A cut man many not be a manager, matchmaker, or promoter for an event;
(8) "Designee," a representative of the Commission who attends boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts events to ensure that all laws and Commission rules are adhered to;
(9) "Judge," a person serving as a member of a scoring panel for boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts. The panel of judges is responsible for determining a decision in each bout;
(10) "Official," referees, judges, timekeepers, and physicians involved in a boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts contest;
(11) "Physician," a person who is licensed as a doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy and in good standing with the issuing licensing board;
(12) "Professional," a contestant who has received remuneration, either directly or indirectly, for any bout the contestant has participated in;
(13) "Purse," the financial guarantee or any other remuneration which a contestant receives for participating in a bout, including the contestant's share of any payment received for broadcasting, internet, television, or motion picture rights;
(14) "Referee," the person in charge of enforcing the rules during any contest;
(15) "Second," an individual who attends to a contestant between rounds;
(16) "Timekeeper," a person responsible for keeping accurate time during any contest.
Source: 41 SDR 7, effective July 28, 2014; 44 SDR 102, effective December 18, 2017.
General Authority: SDCL 42-12-10.
Law Implemented: SDCL 42-12-10.