24:05:24:01. Referral. Referral includes any written request which brings a student to the attention of a school district administrator (building principal, superintendent, or special education director) as a student who may be in need of special education. A referral made by a parent may be submitted verbally, but it must be documented by a district administrator. Other sources of referrals include the following:
(1) Referral through screening;
(2) Referral by classroom teacher;
(3) Referral by other district personnel;
(4) Referral by other public or private agencies; and
(5) Referral by private schools, including religious schools.
Source: 16 SDR 41, effective September 7, 1989; 23 SDR 31, effective September 8, 1996; 26 SDR 150, effective May 22, 2000.
General Authority: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Law Implemented: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Back to 24:05:24