24:05:25:04.01. Braille assessment factors. The following age-appropriate factors must be considered when conducting a reading and writing assessment of the student to determine whether or not Braille instruction must begin or continue:
(1) Reading readiness;
(2) Functional reading skills including reading level, print size, reading rate, comprehension, and stamina;
(3) Functional writing skills;
(4) Prognosis of eye condition for change in visual status;
(5) Functional communication skills and primary language of communication;
(6) Functional visual abilities; and
(7) Tactile discrimination.
Source: 18 SDR 158, effective March 31, 1992; 23 SDR 31, effective September 8, 1996.
General Authority: SDCL 13-37-31.
Law Implemented: SDCL 13-37-30.
Back to 24:05:25