24:05:27:01.01. IEP team. Each school district shall ensure that the IEP team for each student with disabilities include the following members:
(1) The parents of the student;
(2) Not less than one regular education teacher of the student if the student is, or may be, participating in the regular education environment;
(3) Not less than one special education teacher of the student or, if appropriate, at least one special education provider of the student;
(4) A representative of the school district who:
(a) Is qualified to provide, or supervise the provision of, specially designed instruction to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities;
(b) Is knowledgeable about the general education curriculum; and
(c) Is knowledgeable about the availability of resources of the school district;
(5) An individual who can interpret the instructional implications of evaluation results, who may be a member of the team described in subdivisions 2 to 6, inclusive, of this section;
(6) At the discretion of the parent or the school district, other individuals who have knowledge or special expertise regarding the student including related services personnel as appropriate;
(7) If appropriate, the student; and
(8) Transition services participants as described in §§ 24:05:25:16.01 and 24:05:25:16.02.
The determination of the knowledge or special education expertise of any individual described in this section shall be made by the party (parents or district) who invited the individual to be a member of the IEP team. A district may designate another district member of the IEP team to also serve as the district representative, if the criteria in this section are satisfied.
Source: 26 SDR 150, effective May 22, 2000; 32 SDR 41, effective September 11, 2005; 33 SDR 236, effective July 5, 2007.
General Authority: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Law Implemented: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Back to 24:05:27