24:05:27:01.02. Development, review, and revision of individualized education program. In developing, reviewing, and revising each student's individualized education program, the team shall consider the strengths of the student and the concerns of the parents for enhancing the education of their student, the results of the initial or most recent evaluation of the student, the academic, developmental, and functional needs of the student. The individualized education program team also shall:
(1) In the case of a student whose behavior impedes his or her learning or that of others, consider the use of positive behavioral interventions and supports and other strategies to address that behavior;
(2) In the case of a student with limited English proficiency, consider the language needs of the student as these needs relate to the student's individualized education program;
(3) In the case of a student who is blind or visually impaired, provide for instruction in Braille and the use of Braille unless the team determines, after an evaluation of the student's reading and writing skills, needs, and appropriate reading and writing media (including an evaluation of the student's future needs for instruction in Braille or the use of Braille), that instruction in Braille or the use of Braille is not appropriate for the student;
(4) Consider the communication needs of the student and, in the case of a student who is deaf or hard of hearing, consider the student's language and communication needs, opportunities for direct communications with peers and professional personnel in the student's language and communication mode, academic level, and full range of needs, including opportunities for direct instruction in the student's language and communication mode; and
(5) Consider whether the student requires assistive technology devices and services.
The regular education teacher of a student with a disability, as a member of the individualized education program team, must, to the extent appropriate, participate in the development, review, and revision of the student's individualized education program, including the determination of appropriate positive behavioral interventions and supports and other strategies for the student and the determination of supplementary aids and services, program modifications, and supports for school personnel that will be provided for the student consistent with subdivision 24:05:27:01.03(3).
Nothing in this section requires the team to include information under one component of a student's individualized education program that is already contained under another component of the student's individualized education program. No additional information may be required to be included in a student's IEP beyond what is explicitly required in this section.
Source: 26 SDR 150, effective May 22, 2000; 32 SDR 41, effective September 11, 2005; 33 SDR 236, effective July 5, 2007.
General Authority: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Law Implemented: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Back to 24:05:27