24:05:27:19. Assistive technology service. An assistive technology service is any service that directly assists a child with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device. The term includes the following:
(1) The evaluation of the needs of a child with a disability, including a functional evaluation of the child in the child's customary environment;
(2) Purchasing, leasing, or otherwise providing for the acquisition of assistive technology devices by children with disabilities;
(3) Selecting, designing, fitting, customizing, adapting, applying, maintaining, repairing, or replacing assistive technology devices;
(4) Coordinating and using other therapies, interventions, or services with assistive technology devices, such as those associated with existing education and rehabilitation plans and programs;
(5) Training or technical assistance for a child with disabilities or, the child's family; and
(6) Training or technical assistance for professionals, including individuals providing education and rehabilitation services, for employers, or for other individuals who provide services to, employ, or are otherwise substantially involved in the major life functions of children with disabilities.
Source: 20 SDR 33, effective September 8, 1993; 23 SDR 31, effective September 8, 1996.
General Authority: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Law Implemented: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Back to 24:05:27