24:05:27:21. Transition to preschool program. Each local school district shall develop policies and procedures for the transition of children participating in the early intervention program under Part C of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) who are eligible for participation in preschool programs under Part B of IDEA.
Each district's policies and procedures must include the following:
(1) A description of how the families will be included in the transitional plans;
(2) Procedures to be used by the district for notifying the local network in which the child resides of the need for transitional planning;
(3) Procedures for convening, with the approval of the family, a conference between the network, family, and district;
(4) A requirement for convening the conference at least 90 days, and at the discretion of all parties, not more than 9 months before the child is eligible for the preschool program under Part B of Individual with Disabilities Education Act; and
(5) Procedures for reviewing a child's program options for the period beginning with the day a child turns three and running through the remainder of the school year including the development and implementation of an individual education program consistent with this article.
Each affected district shall participate in transition planning conferences arranged by the IDEA, Part C, program.
In the case of a child with a disability, aged three, previously eligible for Part C of IDEA, the IEP team must consider the child's IFSP that contains the IFSP content, including the natural environments statement, described in article 24:14.
Source: 20 SDR 33, effective September 8, 1993; 23 SDR 31, effective September 8, 1996; 26 SDR 150, effective May 22, 2000; 33 SDR 236, effective July 5, 2007.
General Authority: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Law Implemented: SDCL 13-37-1.1.
Cross-Reference: Procedural safeguards, ch 24:05:30.
Back to 24:05:27