24:52:02:02. Procedure for deaccessioning. The procedure for deaccessioning a collections object is as follows:
(1) The museum director recommends an object for deaccessioning to the museum's collections committee;
(2) The museum's collections committee recommends an object for deaccessioning to the director of the South Dakota State Historical Society;
(3) Upon approval of the director of the State Historical Society, the museum director shall send a notice of intent to deaccession to the donor of the object at the donor's last known address. The notice shall be sent by certified mail at least 30 days before the board meeting at which a vote on deaccessioning will take place;
(4) The director of the State Historical Society recommends the object for deaccessioning to the board;
(5) The board votes on deaccessioning.
The object shall be deaccessioned following a majority vote of the board.
Source: 13 SDR 23, effective September 1, 1986.
General Authority:SDCL 1-19A-11.
Law Implemented:SDCL 1-19A-11.
Back to 24:52:02