67:42:10:06. Staff development and training. Each program must have and implement a written training plan. Each staff member for a group family day care home shall participate in 10 hours of training annually. Each staff member for a day care center shall participate in 20 hours of training annually. Training must be obtained in the following areas:
(1) Child growth and development;
(2) Detecting and reporting child abuse and neglect;
(3) Guidance and behavior management;
(4) Food handling techniques;
(5) Identification and prevention of communicable diseases;
(6) Program health and safety;
(7) Nutrition for children;
(8) Program management and regulation;
(9) Communication and relations with staff;
(10) Cultural diversity;
(11) Learning environments;
(12) Age-appropriate activities and planning;
(14) Partnerships with parents;
(15) Inclusion of all children; and
(16) Basic first aid.
Instruction provided to staff members or volunteers while performing their job may not be used to meet the requirements of this rule.
The number of training hours required of staff who are not full-time employees must be proportionate to the number of hours worked.
Before an initial license is issued, the director or a designated staff person shall complete class instruction in basic first aid. In addition, if not already certified, the director shall become certified in infant-child cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). CPR shall be obtained through an entity that provides hands-on skills testing as part of the training. Each staff person shall maintain a valid certification in CPR at all times.
Source: SL 1975, ch 16, § 1; transferred from § 67:14:19:19, 4 SDR 10, effective August 28, 1977; transferred from § 67:41:04:10, 7 SDR 66, 7 SDR 89, effective July 1, 1981; 12 SDR 209, effective July 6, 1986; 21 SDR 206, effective June 4, 1995; 31 SDR 40, effective September 29, 2004; 39 SDR 220, effective June 27, 2013; 43 SDR 31, effective September 12, 2016.
General Authority: SDCL 26-6-16.
Law Implemented: SDCL 26-6-16(1)(6)(10).
Back to 67:42:10