Codified Laws

Text Search

Enter the text to search for and click Search to get a list of statutes containing the text you entered. Tips:
  • Multiple words will be searched as a phrase. Entering Property Tax will return statutes that contain the complete phrase Property Tax.
  • Logical Operators are allowed. Hunting and Fishing will return statutes that containing both hunting and fishing. Hunting or Fishing will return statutes that contain hunting, fishing, or both.
  • Wild cards(*) are allowed. Entering Approp* will return statutes that contain Appropriation, Appropriate, Appropriated, etc..
  • Punctuation can also be used as operators. + = and, , = or. Searching for phrases that have , and will result in error unless you enclose the entire phrase in quotes.
The Filter option allows you to narrow your search results to a specific Title or Chapter. Here is a tip for using the filter option.
  • Use a dash (-) as the last character of your filter to refine searches. For example the filter "1-1" returns sections in 1-1, 1-10, 1-11, 1-12, etc. The filter "1-1-" returns only sections in Chapter 1-1.

Quick Find

Type the Statute number you are looking for in the form Title-Chapter-Section . Examples(1-1-1.1, 27A-11A-12, etc.)

The Get Statute button can be used to locate a specific statute. You may type in a title, chapter, or section number. Example: typing 1 will return the chapter list for Title 1, typing 1-1 will return the section list for chapter 1-1, typing 1-1-1 will return section 1-1-1 of the statutes.

The Get Chapter button can be used to load a complete chapter of the statutes. This function requires a title and a chapter number. Examples: 1-1, 57A-1, 1-3

     13-28-10.   School residency of child residing in home other than residence of parents, guardian, or noncustodial parents--Petition to local school board. If a school age child resides in a home other than the residence of his parents, guardian, or noncustodial parents on a temporary or permanent basis, the school residency of the child is where the parents, noncustodial parents, or guardian reside unless, upon request of the person with whom the child is living, the local school board accepts the child as a resident of that school district. If the school board rejects the request, the person who made the request may, within fifteen days after receipt of the rejection, appeal to the school board for a hearing. The decision of the school board after the hearing is final and may be appealed to the circuit court. However, a school age child is a resident of the school district where the school age child is placed by the Unified Judicial System, the Department of Corrections, or entities approved by the Department of Social Services, including a foster home.

Source: SL 1959, ch 70; SDC Supp 1960, § 15.3003; SL 1965, ch 52; SL 1975, ch 128, § 188; SL 1982, ch 143, § 3; SL 1993, ch 138, § 1; SL 1997, ch 96, § 1.

Get Chapter 13-28
Back to Chapter 13-28