15-15A-1. Purpose of rule of access to court records. The purpose of this rule is to provide a comprehensive policy on access to court records. The rule provides for access in a manner that:
(1) Maximizes accessibility to court records,
(2) Supports the role of the judiciary,
(3) Promotes governmental accountability,
(4) Contributes to public safety,
(5) Minimizes risk of injury to individuals,
(6) Protects individual privacy rights and interests,
(7) Protects proprietary business information,
(8) Minimizes reluctance to use the court to resolve disputes,
(9) Makes most effective use of court and clerk of court staff,
(10) Provides excellent customer service, and
(11) Does not unduly burden the ongoing business of the judiciary.
The rule is intended to provide guidance to 1) litigants, 2) those seeking access to court records, and 3) judges, court and clerk of court personnel responding to requests for access.
Source: SL 2004, ch 333 (Supreme Court Rule 04-06), eff. July 1, 2004; SL 2005, ch 291 (Supreme Court Rule 05-05, eff. Feb. 25, 2005.
Get Chapter 15-15A