15-15A-2. Who has access to court records under the rule. Every member of the public has the same access to court records as provided in this rule, except as provided otherwise by statute or rule and except as provided in § 15-15A-7.
(1) any person and any business or non-profit entity, organization or association;
(2) any governmental agency for which there is no existing policy, statute or rule defining the agency's access to court records;
(3) media organizations.
"Public" does not include:
(4) court or clerk of court employees;
(5) people or entities, private or governmental, who assist the court in providing court services;
(6) public agencies whose access to court records is defined by another statute, rule, order, policy or database access agreement with the South Dakota Unified Judicial System;
(7) the parties to a case or their lawyers regarding access to the court record in their case, which may be defined by statute or rule.Source:
SL 2004, ch 333 (Supreme Court Rule 04-06), eff. July 1, 2004; SL 2005, ch 291 (Supreme Court Rule 05-05), eff. Feb. 25, 2005.
Get Chapter 15-15A