34-14-26. Definition of terms. Terms used in §§ 34-14-26 to 34-14-28, inclusive, mean:
(1) "Human cloning," human asexual reproduction accomplished by introducing the nuclear material of a human somatic cell into a fertilized or unfertilized oocyte whose nucleus has been removed or inactivated to produce a living organism, at any stage of development, with a human or predominantly human genetic constitution;
(2) "Human somatic cell," a diploid cell, having a complete set of chromosomes, obtained or derived from a living or deceased human body at any stage of development;
(3) "Nuclear transplantation," transferring the nucleus of a human somatic cell into an oocyte from which the nucleus or all chromosomes have been or will be removed or rendered inert;
(4) "Nucleus," the cell structure that houses the chromosomes, and thus the genes;
(5) "Oocyte," the female germ cell, the egg.Source:
SL 2004, ch 227, § 1.
Get Chapter 34-14