34A-2-101. Promulgation of rules to safeguard public health and prevent water pollution--Violation. The board shall promulgate rules pursuant to chapter 1-26 to develop procedures necessary to safeguard the public health and welfare and prevent pollution of the waters of the state from the leakage, spillage, release, or discharge of regulated substances from above ground stationary storage tanks. These rules shall be exercised in substantial conformity with the current codes and standards recommended by the National Fire Protection Association for the storage of flammable and combustible liquids as contained in NFPA30 in effect on January 1, 2011. The rules shall provide the following:
(1) Requirements for maintaining a leak detection system, an inventory system, or a comparable system or method designed to identify releases in a manner consistent with the protection of human health and the environment;
(2) Requirements for maintaining records of any monitoring or leak detection system or inventory control system;
(3) Requirements for the reporting of any releases and corrective action taken in response to a release from any above ground stationary storage tank;
(4) Requirements for taking corrective action in response to a release from any above ground stationary storage tank;
(5) Requirements for the closure of tanks to prevent future releases of regulated substances to the environment;
(6) Requirements for maintaining evidence of financial responsibility for taking corrective action and compensating third parties for bodily injury and property damage caused by sudden and nonsudden accidental releases arising from operating any above ground stationary storage tank;
(7) Standards of performance, including design, construction, installation, and compatibility standards for new above ground stationary storage tanks;
(8) Requirements for notifying the department or local designated agency of the existence of any operational or nonoperational above ground stationary storage tank; and
(9) Requirements for providing tank information required on the form provided by the department.
A violation of these rules is subject to § 34A-2-75.
Source: SL 1987, ch 258, § 2; SL 1992, ch 158, § 32; SL 2011, ch 165, § 63.
Get Chapter 34A-2