47-34A-105. Name. (a) The name of a limited liability company must contain, limited liability company, or limited company, or the abbreviation, L.L.C., LLC, L.C., or LC. Limited may be abbreviated as Ltd. and company may be abbreviated as Co.
(b) Except as authorized by subsections (c) and (d), the name of a limited liability company must be distinguishable upon the records of the secretary of state from:
(1) The name of any corporation, limited partnership, or company incorporated, organized or authorized to transact business, in this state;
(2) A name reserved or registered under § 47-34A-106 or 47-34A-107;
(3) A fictitious name approved under § 47-34A-1005 for a foreign company authorized to transact business in this state because its real name is unavailable.
(c) A limited liability company may apply to the secretary of state for authorization to use a name that is not distinguishable upon the records of the secretary of state from one or more of the names described in subsection (b). The secretary of state shall authorize use of the name applied for if:
(1) The present user, registrant, or owner of a reserved name consents to the use in a record and submits an undertaking in form satisfactory to the secretary of state to change the name to a name that is distinguishable upon the records of the secretary of state from the name applied for; or
(2) The applicant delivers to the secretary of state a certified copy of the final judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction establishing the applicant's right to use the name applied for in this state.
(d) A limited liability company may use the name, including a fictitious name, of another domestic or foreign company which is used in this state if the other company is organized or authorized to transact business in this state and the company proposing to use the name has:
(1) Merged with the other company;
(2) Been formed by reorganization with the other company; or
(3) Acquired substantially all of the assets, including the name, of the other company.Source:
SL 1998, ch 272, § 105.
Get Chapter 47-34A