58-23-6. Supplemental automobile coverage--Definition of terms. Terms used in §§ 58-23-6 to 58-23-8, inclusive, mean:
(1) "Automobile," a four-wheel passenger motor vehicle designed for use upon public roads, not operated for commercial use, and owned by a natural person. This definition includes trailers designed for use with such motor vehicles, but does not include a motorcycle or a motorcycle with a sidecar attached thereto;
(2) "Automobile liability policy," a policy of insurance, insuring against liability on account of bodily injury;
(3) "Insured," the named insured or any other person who is in or upon, entering into, or alighting from, the automobile insured and described in the policy with the express or implied permission of the named insured or the person operating the automobile with the express or implied consent of the named insured. The term insured also includes the named insured or any member of the named insured's household when either of them is a pedestrian and collides with or is struck by a motor vehicle or trailer;
(4) "Medical expense," reasonable and customary expenses for necessary medical, hospital, surgical, X ray, and dental services, including prosthetic devices, and necessary ambulance, professional nursing, and funeral expenses;
(5) "Named insured," the individual or individuals designated by name as specifically insured in the policy declaration.Source:
SL 1971, ch 270, § 1; SL 1972, ch 263, § 1; SL 1990, ch 399; SL 1993, ch 363; SL 1995, ch 283.