7-9-15. Fees--Real estate documents to conform to format standards--Exception. The register of deeds shall charge and receive the following fees:
(1) For recording deeds, mortgages, and all other instruments not specifically provided for in this section or this code, the sum of thirty dollars for the first fifty pages plus two dollars for each additional page or fraction thereof exceeding fifty pages. A real estate document recorded with the register of deeds shall conform to § 43-28-23, but may not be rejected for recording if the document does not comply with § 43-28-23 unless it is not sufficiently legible or cannot be reproduced as a readable copy using the register of deeds' current method of reproduction;
(2) For a certified copy of any instrument of record, including certificate and official seal, the sum of five dollars for the first page plus one dollar for each additional page or fraction thereof, and for an uncertified copy one dollar for each page. The fee applies to each copy whether it is a hard copy, microfilm, electronic copy, or facsimile transmission. In addition to the fee for a certified copy of the record of any birth, there is an additional charge of two dollars for each copy requested, which shall be submitted on a monthly basis to the state treasurer to be deposited in the children's trust fund;
(3) For filing and indexing a bill of sale, seed grain lien, or thresher's lien, the sum of thirty dollars for the first fifty pages plus two dollars for each page or fraction thereof exceeding fifty pages. No fee may be charged for filing any satisfaction or termination of any instrument as prescribed in this subdivision;
(4) For recording oil, gas, and mineral leases, and other recorded documents relating to mineral or oil and gas lease exploration and development, the sum of thirty dollars for the first fifty pages plus two dollars for each page or fraction thereof exceeding fifty pages;
(5) For recording an easement filed by any entity created by chapter 34A-5, 46A-3A, or 46A-9 or any nonprofit engaged in the treatment, distribution, and sale of water to rural consumers or any document filed by the Department of Transportation pertaining to the acquisition or disposal of highway right-of-way or lands declared surplus, the sum of twenty dollars for the first three pages plus two dollars for each additional page or fraction thereof; and
(6) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision (2) of this section, the board of county commissioners shall fix by resolution the fees to be paid by licensed abstracters of the county or by any person who has passed the written examination established by the Abstracters' Board of Examiners pursuant to § 36-13-11 for uncertified copies of recorded instruments, which fee may not exceed the actual cost to the county for providing such copies.
The register of deeds may not charge a fee for discharging or canceling any personal property lien.
Source: SDC 1939, § 12.0712; SL 1941, ch 28; SL 1943, ch 26; SL 1949, ch 26; SL 1955, ch 19; SL 1971, ch 47, §§ 1 to 3; SL 1976, ch 69; SL 1978, ch 56, §§ 1, 2; SL 1981, ch 51; SL 1984, ch 194, § 2A; SL 1986, ch 64; SL 1988, ch 69; SL 1992, ch 54; SL 1996, ch 51; SL 1997, ch 44, § 1; SL 1999, ch 33, § 1; SL 2001, ch 240, § 2; SL 2012, ch 51, § 1; SL 2013, ch 33, § 1.
Get Chapter 7-9