2:01:07:01. Definitions. Terms used in chapters 2:01:07 to 2:01:09, inclusive, mean:
(1) "Commission," the law enforcement standards and training commission established by SDCL 23-3-28;
(2) "Emergency," any unforeseen condition or situation that involves imminent peril to the health, safety, and welfare of the public;
(3) "Law enforcement agency," a municipal police department or county sheriff's office of a political subdivision of the state of South Dakota, or a law enforcement agency of the state of South Dakota;
(4) "Reserve law enforcement officer" or "reserve officer," a person appointed by the appointing authority of a law enforcement agency to supplement and support, without supplanting, law enforcement officers of that agency as a member of a reserve law enforcement officer unit, and who acts in that capacity without compensation except in an emergency, or as permitted by § 2:01:07:03; and
(5) "Reserve law enforcement officer unit" or "reserve unit," one or more reserve law enforcement officers trained by a law enforcement agency to perform duties as a reserve law enforcement officer and which as a unit has been certified by the state law enforcement standards and training commission.
Source: 3 SDR 75, effective May 2, 1977; 8 SDR 82, effective January 13, 1982; 26 SDR 120, effective March 27, 2000.
General Authority:SDCL 23-3-35(1).
Law Implemented:SDCL 23-3-27, 23-3-35, 23-3-42.
Back to 02:01:07