20:10:36:43. Tier 3 interconnection screening criteria. A tier 3 small generator facility meeting all tier 3 evaluation and screening criteria shall be further evaluated using tier 2 evaluation and screening criteria, except that the 15 percent tier 2 screen does not apply to tier 3 small generator facilities.
Tier 3 interconnections do not require an interconnection feasibility study. However, the public utility may choose to conduct such a study at its own expense, and it must complete the interconnection feasibility study within 25 calendar days.
For a small generator facility to interconnect to the load side of an area network distribution circuit, the following criteria must be met:
(1) The electric nameplate capacity of the small generator facility is 50 kilowatts or less;
(2) The proposed small generator facility utilizes a lab tested, inverter-based equipment package for interconnection;
(3) The small generator facility utilizes low forward power relays or other protection functions that prevent power flow onto the area network;
(4) The aggregated other generation on the area network, including FERC wholesale generators and FERC wholesale generators with a higher queue position, does not exceed the lesser of 5 percent of an area network's maximum load or 50 kilowatts; and
(5) The interconnection uses only existing public utility facilities and the applicant's proposed facilities.
Source: 35 SDR 305, effective July 1, 2009.
General Authority: SDCL 49-34A-27, 49-34A-93.
Law Implemented: SDCL 49-34A-27, 49-34A-93.
Back to 20:10:36