20:38:37:02. Prime professional. The prime professional is the licensed architect or professional engineer who leads the design team and manages the design project. A prime professional is required for any project that requires the coordination of multiple disciplines, such as, architectural, landscape architectural, civil, structural, mechanical, or electrical engineering. The prime professional is charged with the coordination of the design and construction administration services. The prime professional may require testing and uncovering of work to determine compliance with approved plans and specifications. The duties of the prime professional include the following:
(1) Acts as point of contact for the project team during the design phase to ensure dialogue among participants, including owners, contractors, developers, design professionals, government bodies, and building officials;
(2) Verifies that the submittal to the building official is compatible and coordinated and provides a logical and comprehensive document;
(3) Verifies that the design submitted is complete, and that all requirements for calculations and specifications are complete and accurately delineated on plans and related documents;
(4) Acts as point of contact during the review process with the building official and provides for timely response to questions, corrections, or requests for additional information on any element of the design package;
(5) Acts as point of contact for the design team following permit issuance, responds to changes, clarifications, and additional information that may be required from members of the design team to owners, developers, contractors, or building officials; and
(6) Coordinates construction administration services.
Source: 26 SDR 9, effective July 29, 1999; 29 SDR 95, effective January 6, 2003; transferred from § 20:38:21:01, 38 SDR 121, effective January 16, 2012.
General Authority: SDCL 36-18A-22(6).
Law Implemented: SDCL 36-18A-1(9), 36-18A-46.
Back to 20:38:37