20:48:07:28. Curriculum construction and evaluation. The curriculum of the nursing education program shall enable the student to develop the nursing knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for the level, scope, and standards of competent nursing practice expected at the level of licensure. Curriculum shall be revised as necessary to maintain a program that reflects advances in health care and its delivery. The curriculum must meet the following requirements:
(1) Reflect the philosophy, purpose, and outcomes of the nursing education program and be consistent with professional nursing standards and scope of practice as regulated by SDCL chapters 36-9 and 36-9A and articles 20:48 and 20:62;
(2) Be planned in accordance with the governing institution's calendar and requirements for the degree, certificate, or diploma and have a combination of nursing and non-nursing credits based on a rationale that ensures preparation for the safe and effective practice of nursing and that meets the intent of the program offered;
(3) Use learning experiences and methods of instruction to fulfill curricular objectives which provide similar learning experiences for all students; provide and document alternative learning experiences to address the lack of some essential aspects of clinical experience;
(4) Correlate theoretical instruction and clinical or practicum experiences;
(5) Provide for progression in knowledge, skills, abilities, and attitudes of nursing students;
(6) Be evaluated by the faculty according to a systematic plan that provides for student and alumni participation and incorporates quality improvement;
(7) Use course outlines which are updated annually, available to students and program faculty, and include:
(a) The course topics or concepts;
(b) Expectations and assignments to be completed by the student; and
(c) The evaluation procedures to be used;
(8) Be organized to teach content in separate courses or in combination with other concepts which are integrated into broader-based courses; and
(9) Lead to the achievement of course objectives, expected student learning outcomes, and program outcomes.
Source: 3 SDR 35, effective November 11, 1976; 9 SDR 151, effective May 30, 1983; 12 SDR 151, 12 SDR 155, effective July 1, 1986; transferred from § 20:48:07:07, 18 SDR 107, effective December 30, 1991; 31 SDR 26, effective September 8, 2004; 45 SDR 9, effective July 30, 2018.
General Authority: SDCL 36-9-21(8), 36-9A-41.
Law Implemented: SDCL 36-9-58, 36-9A-5, 36-9A-21.1.
Back to 20:48:07