20:76:01:06. Required training. An applicant for licensure as a massage therapist shall provide proof of required training on a form prescribed by the board and completed by the recognized facility where the training was received. Official transcripts evidencing that the applicant has completed the required training shall be provided by the recognized facility. The board may consider other evidence of training if the recognized facility has ceased operations. The required training for licensure includes:
(1) One hundred twenty-five hours of training in the body's systems and anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology;
(2) Two hundred hours of training in massage and bodywork assessment, theory, and application;
(3) Forty hours of training in pathology;
(4) Ten hours total of training in business and ethics, with a minimum of six hours in ethics; and
(5) One hundred twenty-five hours of additional training in an area or related field that theoretically completes a massage program of study.
Fifty minutes of supervised classroom instruction is equal to one hour of training.
The board may approve an application from an applicant with required training from a combination of two or more recognized facilities. Online training is acceptable to meet the training requirements for licensure. At least 200 hours of hands-on training from a recognized facility must be completed.
The board may recognize qualifying continuing education to fulfill required training for licensure.
Source: 34 SDR 332, effective July 9, 2008; 37 SDR 29, effective August 30, 2010; 43 SDR 181, effective July 10, 2017.
General Authority: SDCL 36-35-12(4), 36-35-24(2).
Law Implemented: SDCL 36-35-12.
Back to 20:76:01