Nursing facilities and nursing facility beds,
need review process revised.
ENTITLED, An Act to revise the review process to determine the need for additional nursing facilities or nursing facility beds and to require a report to the Legislature.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That § 34-12-35.7 be amended to read:
34-12-35.7. The Department of Health, with assistance from the Department of
Social Human Services, may shall annually consider the need for additional nursing facility beds or additional new nursing facilities or both in defined areas of the state. In doing so, the The following factors shall be taken into consideration:
(1) The current number of available nursing facility beds and nursing facilities in the
defined area state;
(2) The current and projected future need for additional nursing facility beds and nursing facilities in the
defined area state and the current long-term care needs of the population to be served;
(3) The number of nursing facility beds available for redistribution and the number of nursing facility beds redistributed pursuant to this chapter;
(4) The potential impact on existing nursing facilities;
(4)(5) Any additional costs to the state or general public that may result; and
(6) Other current and projected long-term healthcare needs across the state.
Section 2. That chapter 34-12 be amended by adding a NEW SECTION to read:
The Department of Health and the Department of Human Services shall, before the fourth Tuesday in January of each year, submit a written report to and testify before the Senate and House standing committees on health and human services concerning the consideration of additional nursing facility beds or additional new nursing facilities and long-term healthcare needs pursuant to § 34-12-35.7.
Signed March 8, 2017