The effective date of most of the legislation in this volume is July 1, 2014. See SDCL 2-14-16. Legislation with other effective dates will contain the effective date as one of its provisions.
STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT
1. SJR 1 Formal application to Congress to lawfully recognize the ratification of the 26th amendment of the United States Constitution.
2. HJR 1001 Submitting to the electors at the next general election an amendment relating to the authorization of roulette, keno, and craps in Deadwood.
3. HB 1184 American Cowboy Day declared.
4. HB 1192 Black Hills Mining Museum in Lead is the official mining museum of South Dakota.
5. HB 1009 Commemorative medallion fund repealed.
6. SB 21 Fees for the 24/7 sobriety program changed.
7. HB 1213 Tribal economic development and loan program.
8. HB 1101 The board of directors of the Science and Technology Authority membership changed.
9. SB 119 South Dakota Board on Geographic Names, authority changed.
10. HB 1035 Executive branch intern program.
11. SB 168 Background checks for employees in the Office of Economic Development.
LEGISLATURE AND STATUTES
12. SB 124 Reimbursement relating to legislators-elect and newly appointed legislators.
13. SB 154 Task force to study the impact of sexual abuse of children.
14. SB 1 Executive Board governance of the Legislative Research Council.
15. SB 71 Contract term modified for the publication of the codified laws.
16. SB 70 Codify legislation enacted in 2013.
PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
17. SB 79 Obsolete provision regarding the federal census repealed.
18. SB 41 Correctional staff defined for the state's retirement system.
19. SB 40 Surviving spouse in the South Dakota Retirement System may elect a reduced benefit before age 65.
. SB 43
Disability benefits for members of the state's retirement system revised.21
. SB 152
The cement plant retirement plan revised.22
. SB 42
Cement plant retiree may select a lump sum payment.PUBLIC FISCAL ADMINISTRATION
23. SB 187 The General Appropriation Act for fiscal year 2015.
24. SB 157 Appropriation to the building South Dakota fund.
25. SB 158 Funding changed for the building South Dakota fund.
26. HB 1104 Local government may require the payment for goods and services by electronic transaction.
27. HB 1203 Financial practices improved for the State of South Dakota.
28. SB 9 Interim appropriations committee may hold hearings on the Governor's budget report.
29. SB 84 Update statutes relating to notification of certain budget transfers.
30. HB 1034 Dam maintenance repair funding from 2012 revised.
31. SB 27 Appropriation to the State Conservation Commission.
32. HB 1039 General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2013 revised.
33. HB 1040 General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2014 revised.
34. HB 1041 Railroad trust fund appropriation.
35. HB 1206 Payment of lease rental obligations to the South Dakota Building Authority.
36. SB 15 South Dakota State University authorization to construct a football stadium.
37. SB 53 An appropriation for programs and projects to provide economic benefit.
38. SB 177 Appropriation for unanticipated costs related to medical services.
PUBLIC PROPERTY, PURCHASES AND CONTRACTS
39. HB 1154 The commissioner of school and public lands may grant certain surface and subsurface easements.
40. HB 1212 Fair and open competition in certain governmental contracts.
41. SB 19 Board of Regents expenditure authority increased for certain construction projects.
42. HB 1013 Interpretive center to be constructed at Good Earth State Park.
43. HB 1038 Appropriation to construct a highway patrol office and motorcycle training facility.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT GENERALLY
44. SB 82 Purchases, sales, and contracts allowed by public officers with the state or its political subdivisions.
45. HB 1105 Obsolete provision repealed regarding the publication of certain local government fiscal reports.
46. SB 65 Road districts voter eligibility and boundary revision.
47. SB 68 The Uniform Real Property Electronic Recording Act adopted.
48. HB 1133 Township revisions.
49. HB 1134 Municipal powers clarified.
50. SB 100 A vacancy may be filled if no person is elected.
51. HB 1095 Revise provisions relating to appointment and removal of municipal finance officers.
52. HB 1151 Budgetary planning for municipalities updated.
53. HB 1135 Exceptions to special assessments levied upon real property.
54. HB 1055 Internal Revenue Code references updated.
55. HB 1064 Obsolete provisions and references repealed concerning weather modification programs.
56. HB 1113 Appropriation to fund tax refunds for elderly and disabled persons.
57. HB 1069 Redemption fee increased for property tax deeds.
58. HB 1058 Railroad tax credits reformed.
59. HB 1057 Inheritance and estate tax revisions.
60. HB 1200 Bank franchise tax revisions regarding net income and net operating losses.
61. HB 1201 Bank franchise tax apportionment of income revised.
62. HB 1070 Sunset certain tax refund claims for an economic development.
63. SB 55 Contractor's excise tax on new or expanded power production facilities repealed.
64. SB 93 Certain gas taxes revised.
. SB 51
Roll your own tobacco regulated.66
. SB 176
Secretary of the Department of Revenue may reduce or abate taxes.67
. SB 56
Auditing standards updated.PLANNING, ZONING AND HOUSING PROGRAMS
68. HB 1091 Property maintenance code for counties and municipalities.
69. HB 1096 Initiated measure or referendum petitions may be challenged.
70. SB 35 An election may be delayed for an emergency.
71. HB 1074 Certain actions prohibited near polling places.
72. SB 34 Absentee ballot requirements changed.
73. HB 1021 Contested case to include student discipline.
74. SB 97 Revoke licensure obtained through fraudulent degrees.
75. SB 64 Common core delay in implementation.
76. SB 63 Privacy of the records of individual students, protected.
77. HB 1071 Minor boundary change criteria changed.
78. HB 1126 Persons authorized to countersign school board payments.
79. SB 145 Schools to provide instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
80. SB 37 State aid to education formula revised.
81. SB 188 Per student allocation increased.
82. HB 1150 Pledge of allegiance, time allowed each day.
83. HB 1249 The hours in a school term for certain grade levels, specified.
84. HB 1164 Start of school, opening day decision may be referred.
85. HB 1032 Children placed in a residential treatment center, tuition responsibility clarified.
86. SB 182 Dual education credit revisions.
87. HB 1033 Open enrollment application review process for siblings modified.
88. SB 113 Student suspension revised.
89. HB 1167 Schools may maintain a stock and administer epinephrine auto-injectors.
. SB 90
The High School Activities Association, regulated.91
. SB 38
Special education state aid formula revised.92
. HB 1031
Autism spectrum disorder defined for state aid.93
. HB 1142
Local and state support for postsecondary technical institutes, and an appropriation.94
. HB 1030
Teacher evaluation records are confidential.95
. HB 1181
Certification of health for a school employee, required.96
. HB 1019
A multistate state authorization reciprocity agreement for distance education activities.97
. HB 1029
Hagen-Harvey memorial scholarship requirements changed.98
. HB 1022
Spearfish, Board of Regents may purchase property.99
. HB 1112
Swine teaching and research facilities appropriation.100
. HB 1175
Board of Regents may expand university facilities at the University of South Dakota, and an appropriation.101
. SB 16
Board of Regents may purchase certain property in Brookings, South Dakota.102
. SB 17
Board of Regents may purchase certain improved real property in Brookings, South Dakota.103
. SB 18
Board of Regents may construct a greenhouse at Northern State University.104
. SB 20
Board of Regents may demolish certain buildings at South Dakota State University.COURTS AND JUDICIARY
105. HB 1063 Revise certain provisions relating to selection of jurors.
OATHS AND ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
106. SB 78 Obsolete provisions regarding the Commissioner of South Dakota repealed.
PERSONAL RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
107. HB 1161 A cause of action for wrongful human trafficking.
108. HB 1125 Judicial remedies revised.
109. SB 25 Personal property may be forfeited in certain child pornography and human trafficking cases.
. SB 125
Registered sex offenders may not loiter in certain areas.111
. SB 118
Criminal penalties revised for intentional damage to private property.LAW ENFORCEMENT
112. SB 85 Confidential criminal justice information, requirements changed.
113. HB 1229 Reporting persons to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
114. HB 1119 Preliminary hearings for persons charged with Class 1 misdemeanors.
115. HB 1082 Conditions causing the suspension of a probationer's probationary period revised.
116. SB 26 Electronic procedure to notify crime victims.
117. SB 102 Magistrate judges may return or dispose of property taken in as evidence.
PENAL INSTITUTIONS, PROBATION AND PAROLE
118. SB 77 Obsolete provisions repealed regarding county prisoners
119. SB 81 Possession of certain items in jails prohibited.
120. HB 1028 Parole violator detainment, county reimbursement increased.
121. HB 1199 Family law outdated provisions repealed.
122. SB 74 Joint physical custody of a minor.
123. HB 1165 The Uniform Deployed Parents Custody and Visitation Act.
124. SB 3 Judicial continuity in court review for certain domestic abuse cases.
125. SB 7 Persons who are eligible for protection from domestic abuse, terminology revised.
126. SB 5 Petition for a protection order, scope of petition expanded.
127. SB 4 Foreign domestic abuse protection order due process.
128. SB 2 A victim of domestic abuse with an outstanding warrant, delayed arrest.
129. HB 1018 Child welfare agency record-keeping, requirements revised.
MENTALLY ILL PERSONS
130. HB 1198 The administration of medical treatment for individuals with mental illness, time period extended.
. SB 108
Autism spectrum disorder study.PUBLIC WELFARE AND ASSISTANCE
132. HB 1017 Department of Social Services repeal of unnecessary statutes.
UNIFORM PROBATE CODE
133. HB 1077 The Uniform Real Property Transfer on Death Act.
HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
134. HB 1090 Obsolete provisions regarding county highways repealed.
135. SB 103 Penalties increased for damaging or removing highway signs.
136. HB 1036 Billboard permit process changed.
137. SB 54 Dealers of boats, used vehicles, and mobile or manufactured homes requirements changed.
138. SB 60 Titling and licensing of boats and motor vehicles revised.
139. HB 1061 Limited liability companies included in motor vehicle licensing requirements.
140. HB 1059 Mass transit motor vehicle exemptions revised.
141. SB 59 Motor vehicle license plates and decals, use regulated.
142. HB 1060 Military specialty license plates provisions improved.
143. SB 61 Specialty plates for motor vehicles provisions updated.
144. HB 1056 Motor vehicle taxes, regulation and licensing redone.
145. SB 95 Vehicle dealer licensing revised.
146. SB 58 Permits for harvest vehicles.
147. HB 1159 Clarify documentation needed for veteran designation on driver license.
148. SB 186 Electronic driver license renewal requirements.
149. SB 13 Using a hand-held mobile phone is a serious traffic violation and references to federal regulations updated.
150. HB 1079 Revise lighting requirements for emergency vehicles.
151. SB 88 Obsolete provisions regarding traction engines repealed.
152. HB 1037 Nonstate trunk highway speed zone authority.
153. HB 1177 Texting while driving ban.
. HB 1100
Photo detection systems prohibited.155
. HB 1122
Collection of civil fines from speeding or red light cameras in other states, limited.156
. HB 1120
Alternative documentation of financial responsibility for vehicles.MILITARY AFFAIRS
157. SB 89 Obsolete provisions repealed regarding the medical department of the National Guard.
158. HB 1026 Webster National Guard armory, ownership transferred.
159. HB 1027 Watertown National Guard armory, ownership transferred.
160. SB 32 Appropriation for National Guard armory construction in Watertown.
161. SB 151 Appointment process revised for State Veterans Home superintendent.
162. HB 1111 Veterans home near Hot Springs, and appropriation.
PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
163. SB 31 Family physician recruitment assistance appropriation.
164. SB 29 Campground regulation updated.
165. HB 1024 Controlled substances schedule revised.
166. SB 24 Pseudoephedrine reporting requirements changed.
167. HB 1180 An entity that places children for adoption or performs abortions may not be registered as a pregnancy help center.
168. HB 1162 Prohibit the practice of sex-selective abortions.
169. SB 171 Federal forms as sufficient to direct the disposition of the body of a service member.
170. HB 1092 Crematoria must be affiliated with licensed funeral home.
171. HB 1087 Allow registered voters to vote in rural fire protection district.
172. HB 1129 Explosive targets prohibited in the Black Hills Forest Fire Protection District.
173. SB 181 Prohibit the sale of alternative nicotine products to minors.
174. SB 39 Alcoholic beverage open container requirements changed.
175. SB 91 Municipal government authority to regulate alcoholic beverages in motor carriers.
. HB 1148
Patrons may manufacture malt beverages and wines on the licensed premises for personal use.177
. SB 163
Social host liability for underage consumption of alcoholic beverages.PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
178. SB 150 Supraglottic airway devices may be used by emergency medical technicians.
179. SB 172 Revise provisions relating to services of dental hygienists.
180. SB 30 Advanced practice nurse licensure and nursing loan assistance program changed.
181. HB 1044 Cosmetology services may be provided at a place other than a salon.
182. SB 47 Real estate appraisers licensing updated.
183. SB 45 Home inspector disciplinary actions.
184. SB 48 Appraisal management companies to maintain financial security related to performance.
185. HB 1046 Plumbing commission licenses and fees changed.
186. HB 1025 Nursing facility administrators licensing revised.
187. SB 14 Board of Examiners of Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists, requirements changed.
188. HB 1107 Repeal obsolete provisions regarding restraint of trade.
189. HB 1106 Obsolete provision repealed regarding the sale of petroleum products.
190. SB 57 Trading stamp business regulation repealed.
191. SB 23 Retail crime and deceptive trade practices revised.
192. SB 143 Civil remedy for a bad faith assertion of patent infringement.
AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
193. HB 1081 Revise provisions related to the wheat checkoff program.
ANIMALS AND LIVESTOCK
194. SB 46 Cruelty to animals, standards updated.
195. SB 22 Livestock inspection violation, citation may be issued.
196. SB 75 Local governments may not regulate ownership of certain dog breeds.
GAME, FISH, PARKS, AND FORESTRY
197. HB 1110 Definition of a resident changed for the purposes of hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses.
198. HB 1185 Nonresident waterfowl hunting licenses.
199. HB 1014 Application fee for certain resident big game licenses increased.
200. HB 1012 Resident fishing license for certain groups teaching fishing skills.
201. SB 104 Artificial light may be used to take varmints.
202. HB 1130 Allow use of crossbows for hunting big game during firearms big game hunting seasons.
203. HB 1118 Discharging firearms in safety zones clarified.
204. HB 1076 Allow party fishing from shore or ice in addition to boats.
205. HB 1010 Tree nursery reserve fund repealed.
206. SB 28 Appropriation for mountain pine beetle suppression.
RECREATION AND SPORTS
207. HB 1084 Revise the list of persons who may be excluded from a licensed gaming establishment.
208. HB 1168 Additional safety measures regarding amusement rides.
209. HB 1049 South Dakota Athletic Commission remade.
210. SB 138 Title-based escheatment revisions of abandoned United States savings bonds.
211. HB 1127 An exemption for alimony payments in debtor filings.
212. HB 1073 Process to remove materialmen's lien.
MINING, OIL AND GAS
213. SB 161 Damages for failure to provide notice by mineral developers.
214. HB 1015 Water rights application process modified to create an equitable process.
215. SB 87 Appropriations from the water and environment fund and other funds.
216. HB 1152 Registration updated of limited partnerships.
PUBLIC UTILITIES AND CARRIERS
217. HB 1194 Establish requirements for facilities crossing railroad rights of way.
218. SB 36 South Dakota Railroad Authority functions transferred to railroad board.
219. HB 1016 Department of Public Safety laws revised.
220. SB 12 Federal motor carrier regulations updated.
221. HB 1166 Telecommunications services program revised.
222. HB 1043 Aeronautics regulation improved.
223. HB 1178 Revise provisions relating to false statements on aircraft registration.
224. HB 1042 Penalty changed for late payment of the additional original registration tax on aircraft.
225. SB 80 Homebuilt aircraft tax credits.
BANKS AND BANKING
226. HB 1047 Trust and trust company provisions reformed.
227. HB 1131 Credit card is not required to establish a revolving credit account.
FIDUCIARIES AND TRUSTS
228. SB 183 Trust fund requirements updated for perpetual cemeteries.
229. SB 49 Private placement insurance requirements changed.
230. HB 1156 Transmission of electronic documents related to insurance policies, permitted.
231. SB 50 Division of Insurance rule-making authority modified.
232. SB 52 Informal settlement of insurance examinations allowed.
233. HB 1050 Insurance director enforcement actions adjusted.
234. HB 1052 Insurance investigations and examinations, additional disclosures permitted.
235. HB 1054 Insurance consumer protections standards established.
236. HB 1157 Retrospective payment of claims for covered services provided by a health care professional.
. SB 122
Health insurers required to cover audiology services for children.238
. SB 99
Self-funded multiple employer trust revisions.
239. HB 1053 Insurance rating organizations regulation updated.
240. HB 1080 Emergency personnel driving records not to include motor vehicle accidents while engaged in the performance of official duties.
241. SB 115 Travel insurance regulated.
242. HB 1048 Property and Casualty insurance laws reformed.
243. HB 1163 Farm mutual insurers may invest funds in certain stocks and market funds.
244. SB 147 Membership revision of the governing body of a health maintenance organization.
245. HB 1051 Captive insurance companies, provisions updated.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT
246. HB 1108 Obsolete provisions repealed regarding employment strikes and lockouts.
247. HB 1132 The educational calendar as a reference point for work.
248. HB 1045 Unemployment insurance contribution rates revised.
249. SB 69 Good cause for voluntarily leaving employment.
250. HB 1143 Unemployment insurance benefit eligibility of workers attending approved training, repealed.
SUPREME COURT RULES AND ORDERS
251. 13-09 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-39-47.
252. 13-10 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Attorney Licensing When His or Her Spouse is a Member of the Armed Forces of the United States to be Designated at SDCL Chapter 16-16.
253. 13-11 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Supreme Court Electronic Filing Rules.
254. 13-12 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Circuit Court Electronic Filing Rules.
255. 13-13 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Defining the Key Components for Drug Courts in the State of South Dakota.
256. 13-14 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Governing Evidence-based Probation Supervision Practices.
. 13-15 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Establishing an Earned Discharge Policy for Certain Probationers.258
. 13-16 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Establishing a Graduated Response Grid.259
. 13-17 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 23A-35-4.2.260
. 14-01 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-24-5.261
. 14-02 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-20-1.262
. 14-03 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-6-28(c).263
. 14-04 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-16-6.264
. 14-05 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-16-7.3.265
. 14-06 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-16-10.266
. 14-07 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-16-11.267
. 14-08 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-16-13.268
. 14-09 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule to be Designated at SDCL 16-16-17.5 Relating to Review of Conditional Admission.269
. 14-10 In the Matter of the Amendments of the Appendix to SDCL Chapter 16-16 Relating to the Board of Bar Examiner Regulations.TOPICAL INDEX
BILL NUMBER TO CHAPTER NUMBER CROSS-REFERENCE TABLE
ENACTED, AMENDED, AND REPEALED SECTIONS TABLE