The effective date of most of the legislation in this volume is July 1, 2016. See SDCL 2-14-16. Legislation with other effective dates will contain the effective date as one of its provisions.
STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT
1. HB 1065 Civilian Conservation Corps Museum of South Dakota.
2. SB 49 Secretary of State fees revised and an appropriation.
3. HB 1187 The Secretary of State may refuse to file certain documents.
4. SB 45 Building South Dakota programs revised.
5. HB 1213 State support for innovative research by South Dakota companies.
6. HB 1060 South Dakota Board on Geographic Names revised.
7. HB 1090 Audits of insurance pooling arrangements to be filed with the Department of Legislative Audit.
8. HB 1146 Agreements with tribes regarding high school equivalency tests administered on Indian reservations.
9. SB 73 Open meeting requirements expanded.
10. HB 1066 Public notice for a meeting of a public body.
11. SB 90 The public may record public meetings.
12. SB 104 Rules to be reviewed before filing with the Secretary of State.
13. HB 1117 Languages used at public meeting regulated.
14. HB 1032 Guaranteed energy savings contracts revised.
15. SB 20 Behavioral Health Division created.
16. SB 162 The State Board of Internal Control.
17. HB 1014 State Historical Society surplus real estate to be sold.
18. HB 1024 Appropriation to repair state owned dams.
19. HB 1047 Extraordinary litigation expense appropriation.
20. HB 1207 Sale of surplus real estate at the Human Services Center.
21. HB 1208 Sale of surplus real estate at the South Dakota Developmental Center.
22. HB 1029 Appropriation to fund the rural residency program.
LEGISLATURE AND STATUTES
23. SB 91 Information provided to persons who sign initiated or referred laws.
24. HB 1037 Initiated measure petition requirements revised.
25. SB 143 Legislative Planning Committee to implement performance management review.
26. SB 1 Executive Board of the Legislative Research Council, authority revised.
27. HB 1238 Powers and duties of the Executive Board of the Legislative Research Council, revised.
28. SB 150 Additional interns for the minority party.
29. SB 32 Legislation enacted in 2015, codified.
PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
30. HB 1056 Veterans' preference in employment revised.
31. SB 14 South Dakota Retirement System revise and repeal provisions related to retirement.
32. SB 13 South Dakota Retirement System, new system created.
33. HB 1214 Conflicts of interest for authority, board, or commission members.
PUBLIC FISCAL ADMINISTRATION
34. SB 172 The General Appropriation Act for fiscal year 2017.
35. SB 15 South Dakota Investment Council membership revised.
36. SB 48 General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2016 revised.
37. HB 1045 General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2013 revised.
PUBLIC PROPERTY, PURCHASES AND CONTRACTS
38. SB 23 Conditional land exchanges, time allowed to complete extended.
39. HB 1102 Time to review competitive bids increased.
40. SB 118 Purchases that may be exempt from bidding requirements.
41. SB 6 Public improvement contracts, security requirements revised.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT GENERALLY
42. SB 74 Members of governing bodies displaced by a natural disaster continue their term of office.
43. HB 1034 Local government election revisions.
44. HB 1004 County government statutory updates.
45. HB 1003 County government administrative functions modified.
46. HB 1002 County general fund reporting requirements revised.
47. HB 1005 County officials fees revised.
48. HB 1119 Criteria for incorporation of a new municipality.
49. SB 65 Municipal recall election procedure revised.
50. HB 1103 The qualification process for municipal office, revised.
51. HB 1218 Notice procedures for any revision of municipal ordinances.
52. HB 1108 Municipal government special assessment revisions.
53. HB 1089 Municipal funds accumulation, regulated.
54. HB 1049 References to the Internal Revenue Code updated.
55. HB 1071 Meeting set between county commissioners and the director of equalization.
56. HB 1150 Property tax exemption increased for local industrial development corporations.
57. SB 3 Agricultural land assessment, criteria revised.
58. SB 59 Application of the special annual road funding levy.
59. HB 1044 State aid to education formula revised.
60. HB 1081 Appropriation to fund tax refunds for elderly persons and persons with a disability.
61. HB 1177 Tax incentives for energy facilities.
62. SB 53 Bank franchise tax revisions.
63. SB 52 Tax on banks and financial corporations reporting procedures revised.
64. HB 1120 Harvesting timber defined as an agricultural purpose.
65. HB 1182 Sales and use tax increase.
66. HB 1204 Sales and use tax exemption for nonprofit corporations created for fire protection.
67. HB 1041 Insurance company premium and annuity taxes, time to recover overpaid tax limited.
. HB 1050
Obsolete mini-storage tax refund repealed.69
. HB 1051
Automated sales suppression devices regulated.70
. SB 106
The collection of sales taxes from certain out-of-state sellers.PLANNING, ZONING AND HOUSING PROGRAMS
71. HB 1140 County zoning adjustments.
72. HB 1100 Minimum size for a sign about zoning changes or conditional use permits.
73. HB 1101 Municipalities may create programs to encourage housing development.
74. SB 112 Tax increment district's base revised.
75. HB 1033 Election and election petition requirements revised.
76. HB 1087 A public election notice repealed.
77. HB 1035 Voter registration, vote centers, and elections revisions.
78. HB 1036 Campaign finance requirements improved.
79. HB 1099 Campaign finance provisions revised.
80. SB 133 Shared services between school districts.
81. HB 1189 Inspection and review of a state-mandated academic achievement test.
82. SB 5 Minor school district boundary changes restricted.
83. SB 131 Teacher salary and a target teacher ratio, education funding, and the School Finance Accountability Board.
84. SB 8 Postsecondary technical institute credentialing changed.
85. SB 132 Education funding revised.
86. SB 82 Native American achievement schools grant program.
87. HB 1169 Attendance center joint powers.
88. HB 1118 Time limited administering statewide academic assessments.
89. HB 1013 Achievement tests for students receiving alternative instruction, schedule revised.
90. SB 28 Immunization requirements for school enrollment changed.
91. HB 1096 An exemption from the tuition limit for certain border school districts.
. HB 1145
School district to accept summer school credits from an accredited school.93
. HB 1043
State aid to special education.94
. SB 129
Suicide awareness training for teachers.95
. HB 1136
Boards of Regents and Education to report to the Legislative Planning Committee.96
. SB 10
Harding Hall renovation and appropriation.97
. SB 103
Board of Regents to transfer real property.98
. HB 1163
Veterans use of tuition benefits revised.99
. HB 1061
Tuition benefit to teachers who enroll in courses not subsidized by the general fund.100
. SB 81
Paraprofessional tuition assistance scholarship program.101
. SB 67
Appropriation to support the South Dakota need-based grant program.102
. SB 159
Partners in education tax credit program.103
. SB 92
Appropriation for a math initiative at the School of Mines and Technology.104
. SB 11
Appropriation to the Board of Regents to purchase land in Madison.105
. SB 12
Authorization to Board of Regents to sell land in Brookings County.106
. HB 1007
Agricultural land production value research.107
. HB 1016
Appropriation revised for certain improvements at South Dakota State University and the University of South Dakota.108
. SB 9
Native American achievement schools grant program appropriation.109
. HB 1203
An appropriation to pay off bonds and make certain other changes necessary to effectuate a tuition freeze.CIVIL PROCEDURE
110. HB 1135 Venue for actions arising out of real property lease agreements.
COURTS AND JUDICIARY
111. SB 75 Appropriation and grant program for adult community residential services.
112. HB 1183 Magistrate courts may issue protection orders.
113. SB 55 HOPE probation program expanded.
114. HB 1201 Appropriate money for teen court.
PERSONAL RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
115. SB 80 Liability limited for hosts of fishing tournaments.
116. HB 1059 Garnishment of debts and property, procedure revised.
117. HB 1153 Allow eminent domain to be resolved by mediation.
118. HB 1134 Access to property for the purpose of making surveys.
119. HB 1062 An order to change the name of a minor child without prior publication.
120. SB 54 Seniors and adults with disabilities protected from abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
121. SB 140 No life sentences for defendants under the age of eighteen.
122. SB 30 Department of Corrections employees excluded from concealed carry requirements when on duty.
123. HB 1243 Unauthorized sharing prohibited of private images on the internet.
124. SB 169 Revisions for the crime of child pornography.
125. SB 25 Property forfeiture for persons convicted of certain crimes.
126. SB 26 Sex offender registration requirements updated.
127. HB 1244 Sex offender registry revised.
128. SB 19 Elder and disabled abuse reporting requirements revised.
129. SB 168 Revisions for the crime of human trafficking.
130. HB 1132 Sexual assault kits testing required.
131. HB 1138 Enhanced concealed carry permit revised.
132. HB 1190 Firearms transactions, public safety, and the issuance of an additional concealed pistol permit.
133. HB 1125 Concealed carry permit related to the restoration of civil rights, limited.
134. SB 97 Automatic removal of petty offenses, municipal ordinance, and Class 2 misdemeanor convictions from background check records.
135. SB 79 Professionals authorized to perform examinations for a plea of guilty but mentally ill.
. HB 1167
Use of a suspended imposition of sentence for a misdemeanor and a felony limited.137
. SB 31
Sentencing and supervision of prison inmates and parolees, authority clarified.138
. HB 1088
Civil forfeiture provisions consolidated.PENAL INSTITUTIONS, PROBATION AND PAROLE
139. HB 1236 A halfway house defined.
140. SB 50 Fees collected by the Department of Corrections reallocated.
141. HB 1063 Notice of relocation of a minor child when a protection order is in place.
142. HB 1105 Protection orders, court may grant continuance.
143. SB 22 Emergency medical responders added to mandatory reporters list.
144. HB 1021 Central registry for abuse and neglect, who may obtain request to check the registry.
145. HB 1022 Abused or neglected children, planned permanent living arrangement.
146. SB 158 Restitution in cases involving juveniles.
MENTALLY ILL PERSONS
147. SB 142 Disclosure authorized of mental health information to law enforcement.
PUBLIC WELFARE AND ASSISTANCE
148. HB 1110 Medicaid for certain unborn children.
149. HB 1224 Participation by South Dakota residents in an ABLE savings program.
UNIFORM PROBATE CODE
150. SB 152 Protected person visitation regulated.
HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
151. SB 7 State trunk highway system revised.
152. HB 1127 Road district authority revised.
153. HB 1179 Large boats exempt from the excise tax.
154. HB 1095 Time period to transfer a motor vehicle title, increased.
. HB 1137
Distribution of registration fees from noncommercial gross weight vehicles, revised.156
. SB 66
Special license plates for parents of children with disabilities.157
. SB 85
Motorcycle and other license plates.158
. HB 1164
Special interest motor vehicle license plate.159
. HB 1083
The sale of certain off-road vehicles regulated.160
. HB 1113
Motor vehicle excise tax exemption.161
. HB 1098
Motor vehicle exemption from the motor vehicle excise tax.162
. HB 1121
Classic motor vehicle dealer regulated.163
. HB 1188
School bus exemption from commercial motor vehicle fees.164
. HB 1230
Animal-drawn vehicle operation.165
. SB 33
Driver license revocation for minors, clarified.166
. SB 34
Chemical testing for commercial motor vehicle drivers, revised.167
. HB 1091
Digital network transportation company regulation.MILITARY AFFAIRS
168. SB 114 Appropriation to commission the USS South Dakota.
PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
169. HB 1028 Department of Health statutory clean-up.
170. SB 27 Ambulance service requirements revised.
171. HB 1026 Annual inspection of licensed health care facilities.
172. SB 148 Additional nursing facility beds for the Michael J. Fitzmaurice Veterans Home.
173. SB 138 Construction of a nursing home facility in Rosebud, South Dakota.
174. HB 1079 Possession of an opioid antagonist permitted.
175. HB 1025 Controlled substances schedule revised.
176. HB 1157 Additional information to be provided before performing an abortion.
177. SB 24 Sale of fetal body parts made a felony.
178. HB 1123 Department of Health to include information regarding inspections of abortion facilities.
179. HB 1212 Pregnancy help center licensure revisions.
. SB 72
Late term abortion prohibited.181
. HB 1030
Fire safety codes updated.182
. HB 1020
Forest fire prevention and control, updated.183
. HB 1031
Weights and measures regulatory authority updated.184
. SB 120
Appropriation for health care recruitment assistance program.185
. HB 1170
Appropriation for the rural health care facility recruitment assistance program.ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
186. HB 1052 Alcoholic beverage license restrictions on Department of Revenue employees.
187. SB 102 Limited alcoholic beverage licenses on higher education campus.
188. HB 1210 On-sale alcoholic beverage licenses for municipal auditoriums.
189. HB 1092 Local permits revised for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
190. SB 2 Alcoholic beverage tax revenue, distribution revised.
191. HB 1078 Limited immunity from arrest and prosecution for alcohol related offenses for someone who assists a person.
PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
192. SB 37 Uniform Plumbing Code updated.
193. HB 1104 Dental hygienist licensing revisions.
194. SB 29 Nurse practice act, licensure and Interstate Compact, updated.
195. SB 41 Board of Technical Professions, authority revised.
196. SB 40 Board of Technical Professions, signature and seal requirements changed.
197. HB 1027 Massage therapists' licensure revised.
198. HB 1069 Genetic counselor licensure.
199. HB 1141 Licensing for persons offering applied behavior analysis services to the public.
AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
200. HB 1018 Commercial fertilizer revisions.
201. HB 1094 Commercial fertilizer inspection fee increased for fertilizer-related research.
202. SB 16 Nursery inspection fees increased.
203. SB 17 Appropriation to suppress wildfires.
. HB 1080
Appropriation to fund a design study for the State Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic Laboratory.ANIMALS AND LIVESTOCK
205. HB 1019 Milk sampling, grading, and licensing.
GAME, FISH, PARKS, AND FORESTRY
206. HB 1010 Department of Game, Fish and Parks may make capital improvements.
207. HB 1011 Game preserve and refuges unnecessary statutes repealed.
208. SB 71 Veterans reduced fee hunting licenses.
209. SB 58 Restrictions for the use of night-vision equipment for hunting.
210. SB 107 Safety zone restrictions on hunting.
211. HB 1075 Nonresident waterfowl licenses, rule amended.
RECREATION AND SPORTS
212. HB 1057 South Dakota Commission on Gaming rule-making revised.
213. SB 42 South Dakota Athletic Commission fees revised.
214. HB 1082 The list of navigable streams requiring gates, codified.
215. HB 1058 Abandoned mineral interests recovery procedure revised.
216. SB 93 Homestead exemption revised.
217. SB 116 Water development districts, residents and voters to participate in actions.
218. SB 68 Appropriations from the water and environment fund and its revolving fund subfunds.
219. SB 18 Appropriation to the State Conservation Commission.
220. SB 98 Pork production regulation.
221. HB 1068 South Dakota Nonprofit Corporation Act, revisions and updates.
222. SB 46 Uniform securities act filing fees revised for certain management companies.
PUBLIC UTILITIES AND CARRIERS
223. SB 127 Utility placement across a railroad right-of-way, regulated.
. HB 1064
Damages and bad acts to tourist railroads that carry passengers, prohibited.225
. SB 35
References to federal motor carrier regulations updated.226
. HB 1038
Federal regulations regarding pipeline safety inspections updated.227
. HB 1046
Railroad trust fund appropriation.BANKS AND BANKING
228. HB 1042 Appropriation to establish the trust company receivership and liquidation captive insurance company fund.
DEBTOR AND CREDITOR
229. SB 57 Contracts between a debtor and creditor.
230. HB 1242 A representative may request a security freeze for a protected person's credit report.
FIDUCIARIES AND TRUSTS
231. HB 1039 Trust and trust company oversight revised.
232. HB 1040 Risk retention group oversight implemented.
233. SB 38 Bail bondsperson, requirements changed.
234. SB 39 Captive insurance companies, certain fees revised.
235. SB 43 Unemployment insurance, failure to pay contributions penalty increased.
236. HB 1084 Concurrent employment may be used to calculate earnings in workers' compensation cases.
SUPREME COURT RULES AND ORDERS
237. 15-15 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-6-4(e).
238. 15-16 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Expedited Civil Actions.
239. 15-17 to In the Matter of the Amendments to SDCL Title 19_Evidence Chapter 19-19.
240. 16-01 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Establishing a Juvenile Graduated Response Grid.
241. 16-02 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-6-30(f).
. 16-03 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL Ch. 15-26A, Appendix of Forms, Form 3.243
. 16-04 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-12B-1.1.244
. 16-05 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Essential Eligibility Requirement for Admission to be Designated Immediately Before SDCL 16-16-2.3.245
. 16-06 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 19-19-1101.246
. 16-07 to In the Matter of the Adoption of Amendments and Repeals in Part to SDCL
16-67 Ch. 16-19, Discipline of Attorneys.
BILL NUMBER TO CHAPTER NUMBER CROSS-REFERENCE TABLE
ENACTED, AMENDED, AND REPEALED SECTIONS TABLE