The effective date of most of the legislation in this volume is July 1, 2017. See SDCL 2-14-16. Legislation with other effective dates will contain the effective date as one of its provisions.
STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT
1. SB 124 The Department of Social Services refugee agreements regulated.
2. HB 1034 Electronic filing of certain documents, fees established.
3. SB 29 Mobile breath alcohol testing allowed.
4. HB 1173 Distribution of funds from the building South Dakota fund.
5. SB 71 The reinvestment payment program, revised.
6. SB 11 State Fair Commission, revised.
7. HB 1006 Public notice requirements revised for meetings and written comments.
8. SB 116 Online access to information concerning state boards, commissions, and departments.
9. HB 1020 Background checks for information and telecommunications employees authorized.
10. SB 46 State geologist, duties updated.
LEGISLATURE AND STATUTES
11. SB 59 Initiated measure effective date.
12. HB 1035 Initiative and referendum petition procedure modified.
13. SB 120 Legislative Planning Committee, repealed.
14. HB 1141 A legislative task force regarding the initiative and referendum process.
15. SB 63 The postage administration fund in the Legislative Research Council, eliminated.
16. SB 77 Fiscal note for any initiated measure or referred law.
17. HB 1001 Prison or jail impact statements, requirements changed.
18. SB 131 Persons prohibited from lobbying after leaving office.
19. SB 74 Elected members of federally recognized Indian tribe exempt from requirement to register as lobbyists.
20. HB 1073 Gifts from registered lobbyists to public officials, regulated.
21. SB 8 Legislation enacted in 2016 codified.
. SB 171
The Government Accountability Task Force established.PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
23. HB 1165 Updated financial interest statements.
24. HB 1033 Background checks for individuals with access to confidential information.
25. HB 1052 Protections for public employees who report violations of law.
26. HB 1039 Board of Finance, rule-making authority clarified.
27. HB 1016 South Dakota Retirement System benefit revisions.
28. HB 1017 South Dakota Retirement system's improved definition for compensation.
29. HB 1018 South Dakota Retirement System computation of final average salary changed.
30. HB 1019 South Dakota Retirement System executive director salary adjustment.
31. HB 1170 Conflicts of interest for authority, board, or commission members, revised.
32. HB 1076 State Government Accountability Board created.
PUBLIC FISCAL ADMINISTRATION
33. SB 178 Appropriation for the ordinary expenses of state government, fiscal year 2018.
34. SB 32 General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2017, amounts adjusted.
35. HB 1042 Appropriation for health care professional recruitment.
36. HB 1023 Appropriation for extraordinary litigation expense.
37. HB 1062 Appropriation for tax refunds for elderly persons and persons with a disability.
38. SB 70 Appropriations from the water and environment fund and other funds.
39. SB 14 Appropriation to the State Conservation Commission.
40. SB 15 Appropriation to suppress wildfires.
41. SB 43 Appropriation for intensive methamphetamine treatment.
PUBLIC PROPERTY, PURCHASES AND CONTRACTS
42. SB 176 Legislation relating to public safety.
43. SB 172 Construction of and improvements to the State Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic Laboratory.
44. HB 1063 The payment of special assessments by the Bureau of Administration.
45. HB 1112 Construction managers limited on certain public improvement projects.
. HB 1205
Sale of certain surplus real estate in Rapid City.47
. HB 1206
Sale of certain surplus real estate located in Aurora County.48
. HB 1207
The sale of certain real estate at the South Dakota Development Center.49
. HB 1208
Sale of certain surplus real estate at the South Dakota Veterans' Home.50
. HB 1209
Sale of certain surplus real estate at the STAR Academy.51
. HB 1210
Sale of certain surplus real estate located in Minnehaha County.LOCAL GOVERNMENT GENERALLY
52. HB 1161 Certain local government fiscal reports submitted to county auditors, requirement repealed.
53. SB 62 The county boundary description for Mellette County, corrected.
54. SB 86 The deposit of county funds.
55. HB 1057 Improvement districts election of board members, revised.
56. SB 146 Voting authority of an alderman, revised.
57. SB 99 Petition signature requirements for municipal elections.
58. SB 98 Deadlines for municipal election recounts.
59. HB 1185 Recreational facilities provided by municipalities.
60. HB 1031 Department of Revenue, division director restrictions revised.
61. SB 38 Internal Revenue Code references updated.
62. SB 7 Agricultural land classification for tax purposes revised.
63. SB 66 Agricultural land may be classified as riparian buffer strip.
64. SB 109 Ownership requirement criteria for classifying dwellings as owner-occupied property.
65. SB 36 Tax return filing date changed.
66. SB 37 Lien requirements updated.
PLANNING, ZONING AND HOUSING PROGRAMS
67. HB 1015 South Dakota Housing Development Authority designated as statewide housing agency.
68. HB 1036 Voter requirements updated.
69. HB 1037 Petitions for delegates and candidates, process regulated.
70. HB 1136 Election recount revisions.
71. SB 54 Campaign finance requirements revised.
72. HB 1069 Campaign finance repeal and revise.
73. SB 151 Allegations of misconduct regarding certain public officials.
74. HB 1022 Education service agencies revised.
75. SB 140 Schools to provide instruction in hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
76. SB 35 State aid to education formula revised.
77. SB 30 High school equivalency testing.
78. HB 1122 Alternative instruction to be excused from public school attendance.
79. HB 1021 Children in residential treatment centers, education provided.
80. HB 1184 Postsecondary technical institutes exempt from collective bargaining provisions.
81. SB 65 The South Dakota Board of Technical Education created.
82. SB 19 Federal grants and contracts fund established.
83. HB 1008 Board of Regents to purchase land in Brookings County.
84. HB 1009 Land donated to benefit the School of Mines and Technology.
85. HB 1010 Appropriation to the Board of Regents for NSU Regional Science Education Center.
86. SB 17 Appropriation to the Board of Regents for a natural resources research and support facility.
87. SB 18 Appropriation to the Board of Regents for the Stanley J. Marshall Center.
88. HB 1005 University center legislative oversight.
89. SB 31 State library functions updated.
90. HB 1103 Service by publication for certain paternity and child custody actions.
COURTS AND JUDICIARY
91. HB 1083 Grants and surcharges related to access to the courts.
92. SB 117 Accountability in South Dakota's criminal justice system.
93. HB 1053 The attorney recruitment assistance program, expanded.
94. SB 138 Asbestos bankruptcy trust claims.
95. SB 28 Presumptive probation revised.
96. HB 1155 Aggravated assault with the intent to disfigure the victim.
97. HB 1143 Underage prostitution, decriminalized.
98. SB 27 Direct criminal conflict of interest defined as theft.
99. HB 1118 The crime human trafficking of minors, elements changed.
100. SB 25 Criminal booking photograph may be released.
101. HB 1127 Deployed military service member may renew a concealed carry permit.
102. HB 1091 Concealed carry permits.
103. HB 1211 A grace period after the expiration of a concealed carry permit.
104. HB 1147 Concealed carry permit revisions.
105. HB 1056 Law enforcement officers may issue certain citations not signed under oath.
106. SB 90 Prior statements of a witness subject to discovery, repealed.
107. SB 26 Statewide automated victim information notification system.
108. HB 1028 Electronic communications, interception process revised.
109. HB 1183 Mental health procedures in criminal justice, revised.
PENAL INSTITUTIONS, PROBATION AND PAROLE
110. SB 16 Penitentiary inmate, violation for an escape.
111. SB 141 Child support revisions.
. HB 1113
Protection orders requirements revised.113
. HB 1100
Law enforcement may initiate a mental illness hold in domestic abuse situations.MINORS
114. SB 149 Protections for faith-based or religious child-placement agencies.
115. SB 103 Truancy citations and formal petitions, process revised.
116. SB 83 Criteria for informal adjustment for any apparent child in need of supervision.
117. SB 84 Suspension of the probationary period for juvenile probationers.
118. SB 179 Maximum probationary period for juvenile probationers, revised.
119. SB 82 Monitor to review juvenile corrections.
MENTALLY ILL PERSONS
120. SB 44 Individuals with a serious emotional disturbance, definition revised.
PUBLIC WELFARE AND ASSISTANCE
121. HB 1191 Cooperation as a condition of eligibility for the SNAP program.
122. SB 147 Rate-setting methodology for services delivered by community-based health and human services providers.
HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
123. SB 23 State highway fund loans to local governments for construction and maintenance.
124. HB 1068 Landowner liability for injuries suffered regarding unimproved section lines.
125. HB 1098 Notice requirements authorizing installation of utility lines along and across highways.
126. HB 1087 Recovery of attorney's fees in civil actions relating to highway obstructions.
127. SB 39 Vehicle identification numbers, attached by owners.
128. HB 1059 Liens perfected on applications for duplicate certificates of title.
129. SB 79 The display of motorcycle license plates.
130. SB 73 Special tribal veteran license plate for certain motor vehicles.
131. SB 118 Motor vehicle license plates depicting the Dignity sculpture.
132. SB 69 Excise tax on new motor vehicle licensed by dealer.
133. HB 1066 Permits for the sale of certain trailers, motorcycles, and other vehicles.
. SB 41
Electronic driver license reinstatement, dates revised.135
. SB 40
Driver license suspension and revocation, start date set.136
. HB 1124
Commercial driver license exempt from the requirement to have a hazardous materials endorsement.137
. HB 1144
Commercial driver license disqualification for refusing to submit to a chemical analysis.138
. HB 1117
Golf carts on state highways, regulated.139
. HB 1174
Stop lamps shall be mounted and displayed on vehicles and trailers.140
. HB 1055
Driver license or permit needed to operate certain motor vehicles.141
. HB 1027
Two-wheeled off-road vehicles which meet certain requirements to be registered and licensed.142
. HB 1030
Motor vehicle size and weight restrictions updated.143
. HB 1088
Required stops at railroad crossings.144
. HB 1110
School bus moving vehicle violations, revised.145
. SB 42
Motor vehicle drivers operating record abstract, length of time revised.MILITARY AFFAIRS
146. HB 1013 National Guard vocation and technical education tuition credit changed.
147. HB 1014 Appropriation for the Department of the Military to purchase land in Sturgis.
PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
148. SB 48 Emergency medical responders to be certified.
149. HB 1040 Community living homes licensed and regulated.
150. SB 49 Emergency medical care, freestanding facilities to be regulated.
151. SB 6 Nursing facilities and nursing facility beds, need review process revised.
152. SB 57 A nursing home facility in Eagle Butte, South Dakota, authorized.
153. SB 45 Accredited prevention or treatment facility, references updated.
154. HB 1082 Limited immunity granted from arrest and prosecution.
155. SB 95 Cannabidiol added to the list of Schedule IV controlled substances.
156. HB 1041 Controlled substance schedule updated.
157. SB 1 Prescription Drug Monitoring Program revised.
158. SB 4 Board of Pharmacy to report to the Legislature regarding opioids.
. HB 1071
Legislative approval before any high level nuclear waste may be processed or deposited within state boundaries.160
. SB 102
Organization information to end sex trafficking given to a woman seeking an abortion.161
. HB 1101
Penalty increased for performing an abortion of an unborn child capable of feeling pain.162
. SB 113
The 911 emergency surcharge revenue, revised.ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
163. SB 81 Alcohol in a powdered, condensed, or other concentrated form, prohibited.
164. HB 1107 Governing board approval of licenses for alcoholic beverages.
165. SB 128 Alcohol manufacturer licensees may participate in charitable retail events.
166. HB 1092 Alcoholic beverage licensing concerning the manufacturing and sale of cider.
167. SB 68 Alcoholic beverage sampling provisions, modified.
168. SB 75 Purchase from a municipality of malt beverages by alcoholic beverage licensees.
169. SB 143 Off-sale delivery license and to allow licensees to deliver alcohol.
170. HB 1026 Direct shipper and wine carriers, tracking numbers to be included on quarterly reports.
PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
171. SB 61 Nurse practitioners and nurse midwives, practice revised.
172. SB 136 Licensed certified professional midwives, regulated.
173. HB 1070 Licensure of physical therapists and physical therapist assistants.
174. HB 1044 Drug wholesalers and outsourcing facilities regulated.
175. HB 1050 Barbering practice revised.
176. HB 1048 Natural hair braiding not the practice of cosmetology.
177. SB 145 Liability limited for certain architects and engineers.
178. HB 1065 Liability of interested persons for certain business debts, repealed.
AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
179. SB 78 Election petitions for conservation district supervisors.
180. SB 13 Potato regulation changed.
. SB 12
Department of Agriculture, certain programs revised.ANIMALS AND LIVESTOCK
182. HB 1159 Regulation of commercial breeding operations.
GAME, FISH, PARKS, AND FORESTRY
183. HB 1095 Resident fishing possession limits, revised.
184. SB 130 Licensing agents fee revised.
185. SB 123 Nonresident waterfowl licenses may be issued, area changed.
RECREATION AND SPORTS
186. HB 1025 Background checks for individuals related to the state lottery.
187. HB 1007 Amusement ride inspection affidavits, filing revised.
188. HB 1012 Wind and solar easements.
189. HB 1081 Trust established for an unlocatable mineral owner.
190. SB 34 Unclaimed property, securities held by the state.
191. SB 64 Water development district directors, term of a vacancy defined.
192. HB 1038 Corporate farm annual reporting requirement changed.
193. HB 1084 Chiropractic corporations may operate after the death of the chiropractor.
194. SB 47 Dental corporation, requirements updated.
195. SB 52 Federal covered securities, notice filings updated.
PUBLIC UTILITIES AND CARRIERS
196. HB 1029 Federal motor carrier regulation, references updated.
197. SB 104 Gas farm tap easement holders and rural customers shutoffs regulated.
198. SB 60 Sale of consumers power district assets deregulated.
199. SB 88 Transmission facility defined.
200. SB 21 Public grain warehouse and grain buyer regulation updated.
201. SB 22 Unmanned aircraft regulations.
202. SB 80 Drone use regulated.
BANKS AND BANKING
203. HB 1047 State chartered banks and trust company application timeline revised.
204. HB 1046 Trust and trust company provisions overhauled.
DEBTOR AND CREDITOR
205. HB 1090 Fees incident to the extension of credit, defined.
206. SB 166 Finance charge limitations on business lending.
207. HB 1179 Exemptions from licensure for nonresidential mortgage loans.
FIDUCIARIES AND TRUSTS
208. HB 1051 Virtual representation in a proceeding involving a person interested in a trust.
209. HB 1080 The Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act.
210. HB 1060 Standards provided for insurers' own risk and solvency assessments.
211. HB 1045 Credit for reinsurance, requirements revised.
212. HB 1195 Health coverage for applied behavior analysis.
213. HB 1077 Assignment of benefits in dental care insurance coverage.
214. SB 51 Loans and investments for insurance companies, references updated.
215. HB 1061 Consent for correspondence through electronic mail.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT
216. SB 137 Joint employer liability protection.
217. HB 1097 Unemployment insurance contribution rates and an unemployment insurance administrative fee, revised.
218. HB 1094 Unemployment insurance, good cause to leave employment modified.
219. HB 1011 Workers compensation requirements for certain self-insured employers revised.
220. I.M. S Rights of crime victims.
221. I.M. 21 Money lending interest charges.
222. I.M. 22 Campaign finance and other reforms.
SUPREME COURT RULES AND ORDERS
223. 16-68 In the Matter of the Amendment of the Appendix to Chapter 16-18.
224. 17-01 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-6-5(d).
225. 17-02 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-6-5(g).
226. 17-03 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-26A-47.
227. 17-04 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-26A-53.
228. 17-05 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-19-36.
229. 17-06 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-19-37.
230. 2017-01 Executive Reorganization Order 2017-01.
231. 2017-02 Executive Reorganization Order 2017-02.
BILL NUMBER TO CHAPTER NUMBER CROSS-REFERENCE TABLE
ENACTED, AMENDED, AND REPEALED SECTIONS TABLE