The effective date of most of the legislation in this volume is July 1, 2018. See SDCL 2-14-16. Legislation with other effective dates will contain the effective date as one of its provisions.
STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT
1. SJR 1 Proposing an amendment to the Constitution.
2. HJR 1004 Marsy's law revised.
3. HB 1162 Appropriation to fund Mary's Law amendment election for June primary.
4. HJR 1006 An amendment to the Constitution relating to amending the Constitution.
5. SB 204 Designate Peter Norbeck Day as a working holiday.
6. HB 1102 The use and display of the great seal of South Dakota.
7. SB 96 Chislic.
8. HB 1318 The South Dakota Health and Educational Facilities Authority may transfer or grant excess reserves to another entity.
9. SB 18 The South Dakota Board of Technical Education, revised.
10. SB 81 The Building South Dakota fund and the programs revised.
11. SB 40 Surplus real estate transferred to the Ellsworth Development Authority.
12. HB 1018 State agencies and the employment of public employees, references revised.
13. HB 1037 The South Dakota State Fair.
14. HB 1172 Meeting requirements of certain public bodies.
15. SB 212 Bureau of Information and Telecommunications assistance to schools.
16. SB 17 The Division of Adult Services and Supports.
17. SB 60 Revised administrative rule-making authority for the Department of Human Services.
18. SB 89 Term limits for members of the Board of Education Standards.
19. HB 1166 Waiver authority revised for recommendations by the School Finance Accountability Board.
20. SB 76 Department of Tribal Relations to assist with the Help America Vote Act.
LEGISLATURE AND STATUTES
21. HB 1177 The circulation of a petition for an initiated measure.
. HB 1196
Verification of residency of petition circulators.23
. HB 1007
Initiated measure may embrace only one subject.24
. HB 1304
Challenges to petition signatures.25
. HB 1311
. SB 125
Authority of the Government Operations and Audit Committee revised.27
. SB 9
Fiscal notes for certain initiated measures and initiated amendments to the Constitution.28
. HB 1137
The registration of lobbyists.29
. HB 1129
Revise definition for full-time-equivalent.30
. SB 10
Resolution of conflicts by multiple measures and amendments adopted at the same election.31
. HB 1017
Legislation enacted in 2017, codified.PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
32. SB 35 Correctional security staff revisions in the South Dakota Retirement System.
33. SB 36 Revisions for the South Dakota Retirement System.
34. SB 37 Automatic enrollment for the deferred compensation plan.
35. SB 38 The process to establish the compensation of the executive director.
PUBLIC FISCAL ADMINISTRATION
36. HB 1320 Appropriation for the ordinary expenses of state government for fiscal year 2019.
37. HB 1044 Revise the General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2018.
38. HB 1045 Transfer funds from the budget reserve fund to support state aid to education.
39. SB 28 Appropriation for costs related to suppression of wildfires.
40. HB 1098 Appropriation for various water and environmental purposes.
41. SB 27 Appropriation from the coordinated natural resources conservation fund.
42. SB 54 Appropriation for the payment of extraordinary litigation expenses.
43. HB 1178 Penalty for the failure to complete timely audits.
44. SB 100 Grant monitoring and review.
PUBLIC PROPERTY, PURCHASES AND CONTRACTS
45. SB 39 Improvements permitted on school and public lands.
. HB 1100
A name to be printed on public contracts.47
. HB 1050
Prompt payment act revised.LOCAL GOVERNMENT GENERALLY
48. SB 86 Local unit of government sale of surplus property through a real estate broker.
49. HB 1169 The commissioner form of municipal government.
50. HB 1163 Municipal publication deadlines revised.
51. HB 1183 The deadline to certify certain municipal ballot language.
52. HB 1154 Municipal lease-purchase agreement revisions.
53. SB 126 Municipal government annual reports.
54. SB 30 Regulation of microblading by municipalities.
55. SB 16 Curb ramp construction specifications for municipalities repealed.
56. HB 1074 Business improvement districts.
57. HB 1049 References updated to the Internal Revenue Code.
58. HB 1143 Tax exemption for certain school owned property.
59. SB 90 Payment of taxes and fees before transferring title of mobile or manufactured homes.
60. HB 1119 Riparian buffer strips.
61. HB 1076 Township's tax levy for emergency medical services.
62. SB 56 Appropriation to fund tax refunds for elderly or disabled persons.
63. HB 1147 Property tax collections, delinquent property taxes, tax certificates, and tax deeds, revised.
64. SB 55 Revise the tax on endoparasiticides and ectoparasiticides.
65. SB 57 Corrections for references to the contractor's excise tax.
66. HB 1068 The collection of motor fuel tax from interstate fuel users.
67. HB 1048 Statements on auditing standards utilized by the Department of Revenue, reference updated.
PLANNING, ZONING AND HOUSING PROGRAMS
68. HB 1292 Appeals of decisions regarding conditional use requests.
. SB 147
Local governing bodies to establish the per diem rate for housing and development commissions.70
. SB 58
Tax increment financing districts.71
. HB 1161
References to the International Building Code, updated.ELECTIONS
72. SB 144 Party affiliation on voter registration cards.
73. HB 1012 Political party definition, modified.
74. HB 1286 Political parties to be classified under alternative political status.
75. HB 1004 Initiated measure petitions regulated.
76. HB 1011 Voter registration list maintenance mailings, requirements changed.
77. HB 1005 Attorney General's ballot measure explanation requirements changed.
78. HB 1006 Legislative Research Council review of ballot measure comments regulated.
79. SB 11 Legislative Research Council, time period for review and comment revised.
80. SB 13 Legislative Research Council fiscal notes for certain ballot measures.
81. HB 1013 Electronic voting systems used in elections, regulated.
82. HB 1105 Validation of absentee ballot signatures.
83. SB 128 Ballot question committee regulation.
84. HB 1002 Campaign finance requirements revised.
85. SB 7 Campaign finance limits revised.
86. SB 8 Campaign contribution limits applied to certain aggregate contributions.
87. SB 77 Campaign finance disclosure statements submitted by ballot question committees.
88. HB 1003 Campaign finance reporting revised.
89. HB 1252 Government entities may not restrict the wearing of tribal regalia during certain events.
90. HB 1215 The reorganization of school districts with low enrollment.
91. SB 66 Information about school elections to be in the school board minutes.
92. HB 1056 Property tax levies for school districts and the state aid to education formula, revised.
. HB 1165
Pilot charter school for Native American students, authority repealed.94
. HB 1297
Revised capital outlay obligations.95
. SB 83
Patriotic societies to have access to public schools.96
. HB 1099
Dual education credit.97
. HB 1114
Students enrolling in school districts after participating in open enrollment.98
. HB 1271
The carrying of guns on certain premises.99
. SB 46
School district policy limiting the use of restraint and seclusion.100
. HB 1155
Language development of deaf and hard-of-hearing students.101
. SB 148
List of organizations that may approve and accredit a nonpublic school.102
. SB 19
Lease-purchase agreements for a local education agency, limited.103
. HB 1016
Secretary of State's authorization to provide postsecondary education, required.104
. SB 80
Term limits for members of the Board of Regents.105
. HB 1063
The Sioux Falls research park description changed.106
. HB 1058
The employment of the superintendent of the School for the Deaf and the School for the Blind and the Visually Impaired.107
. SB 117
The partners in education tax credit program.108
. HB 1221
The partners in education tax credit program to include tribally controlled schools.109
. SB 48
Appropriation to the Board of Regents to purchase agricultural land in Meade County.110
. SB 52
Appropriation to the Board of Regents to demolish a building at South Dakota State University. 111
. HB 1064
Options for the disposition or use of certain real estate located in Minnehaha County.112
. HB 1057
Appropriation and authorization to the Board of Regents for construction and demolition at Dakota State University.113
. SB 49
Appropriation to the Board of Regents to purchase agricultural land in Brookings County.114
. HB 1060
An appropriation to the South Dakota Building Authority and the Board of Regents to renovate the Dakota Dome.115
. HB 1061
An appropriation to the Board of Regents for two athletic and recreation fields at Northern State University.
. HB 1062
An appropriation to the Board of Regents to purchase real property in Brown County.117
. HB 1065
Appropriation to the Board of Regents for the renovation of the National Music Museum.118
. HB 1071
Appropriation to relocate the School for the Blind and the Visually Impaired.119
. SB 47
Appropriation to authorize the completion of a sports facility at the University of South Dakota.120
. SB 50
Appropriation to the Board of Regents for the construction of an American Indian Student Center.121
. SB 51
Appropriation to the Board of Regents for the construction of an athletic support facility at South Dakota State University.122
. SB 53
The Board of Regents may sell and lease certain real property in Pennington County.123
. HB 1264
Appropriation to the Board of Regents for a precision agriculture classroom and laboratory.124
. SB 183
Funds provided for the precision agriculture fund.CIVIL PROCEDURE
125. HB 1139 The applicability of adverse possession to certain partition fences.
COURTS AND JUDICIARY
126. HB 1097 Magistrate court jurisdiction over vulnerable adult protective or restraining orders.
127. HB 1096 Jurisdiction for magistrate judges for HOPE probation programs.
OATHS AND ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
128. HB 1085 The Uniform Unsworn Domestic Declarations Act.
129. HB 1084 Garnishment disclosure forms revised.
130. HB 1293 Increase the penalty for assaults against first responders.
131. HB 1126 Forensic medical examinations for victims of rape or sexual offense.
132. HB 1110 Penalty for convictions of hiring for sexual activity or prostitution.
133. SB 61 Sex offender registration.
134. HB 1285 Community safety zones.
. SB 62
Data breach notification and penalty.136
. SB 65
Penalty enhanced for drug deliveries that result in death.137
. SB 63
Revised prohibitions for methamphetamines with a mandatory penalty.138
. SB 64
Human trafficking in the first degree.LAW ENFORCEMENT
139. HB 1249 Training of tribal law officers at the Law Enforcement Training Center.
140. HB 1209 National Instant Criminal Background Check for applicants of certain concealed carry permits.
141. HB 1083 Fees reduced for enhanced permits to carry a concealed pistol.
142. HB 1278 The extradition of fugitives by Indian tribes.
143. SB 185 Criminal record expungement, process revised.
144. HB 1281 Supervision of persons on probation.
145. HB 1160 The crime victim compensation program fund and program transferred.
146. HB 1174 Rights for crime victims.
147. HB 1095 Clerk magistrate jurisdiction revised.
148. HB 1077 Update language regarding capital punishment and revise mandatory sentence for persons with an intellectual disability.
PENAL INSTITUTIONS, PROBATION AND PAROLE
149. SB 155 Liability for the cost of jail confinement.
150. HB 1280 The calculation of suspended prison sentences.
151. HB 1052 The executive director of the Board of Pardons and Paroles may issue a warrant.
152. HB 1054 Crimes that are considered violent for parole calculation purposes.
153. HB 1053 Earned discharge credits for inmates.
154. HB 1109 Compassionate parole for qualified inmates.
155. SB 165 Child custody and visitation enforcement.
156. SB 140 Objection to a custody or visitation order.
157. SB 167 The consideration of joint physical custody of a minor.
. SB 74
The minimum difference in age between adoptive parent and child, an exception.159
. HB 1269
The time frame for consent in adoption proceedings.160
. HB 1039
Child support obligations and medical services to the indigent, outdated requirements repealed.161
. SB 139
Child custody, revisions.162
. HB 1038
The medical support obligations of a parent to a child, expressed.163
. HB 1112
. HB 1104
The arrest of certain victims of domestic abuse.MINORS
165. SB 106 Foster child to be placed with a relative or close family friend.
166. SB 67 Child sex trafficking or exploitation victim may expunge any criminal record.
167. SB 105 A health care practitioner may administer a toxicology test to an infant.
HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
168. HB 1107 The construction and maintenance of county and township highways.
169. SB 59 Department of Tourism to permit commercial advertising in information centers.
170. HB 1140 Access to public water.
171. SB 15 The state trunk highway system changed.
172. HB 1257 Abandonment of highways by townships and counties.
173. HB 1131 Road district trustees and employees may receive compensation under a district contract.
174. SB 42 Issuing a motor vehicle title, requirements changed.
175. SB 154 Transfer of motor vehicle titles to satisfy unpaid motor vehicle repair bills.
176. HB 1236 The acquisition of motor vehicle titles by auction agencies.
177. SB 41 The registration of snowmobiles, revised.
178. HB 1195 Refunds of motor vehicle license fees.
179. HB 1066 Vehicle license plates and stickers, issuance revised.
180. HB 1117 Licensing of historical motor vehicles.
. SB 97
Motor vehicle license plate for women veterans.182
. HB 1080
Requirements for emblem specialty plates for motor vehicles.183
. HB 1116
Special interest motor vehicle license plates.184
. HB 1088
Consignment sales requirements revised.185
. HB 1101
Used motorcycles offered for sale at an event.186
. SB 151
Sale of trailers at special events.187
. SB 73
Vehicle dealer may lease space in the common area of a shopping mall.188
. SB 146
Off-road vehicle dealers exempt from special event permit fees.189
. HB 1069
An unladen motor vehicle permit for certain commercial motor vehicles.190
. SB 23
Driver license renewal requirements changed.191
. HB 1244
The renewal of driver licenses by a member of the armed forces and their families.192
. SB 22
Commercial driver license applicants have three attempts to pass the commercial driver license exam.193
. HB 1270
The use of lighted front and rear lamps on motor vehicles, regulated.194
. SB 82
Inspections of large passenger vehicles used by nonprofit organizations.195
. SB 69
Registration and permit documents may be stored and presented electronically.196
. SB 114
The removal and storage of abandoned vehicles.197
. HB 1113
Vehicles required to stop at a state weighing station.MILITARY AFFAIRS
198. HB 1043 Construction of a National Guard Readiness Center at the Rapid City Airport.
199. HB 1009 Benefits provided to veterans, administration updated.
200. HB 1010 Federal law protections for National Guard members ordered to active duty.
201. SB 91 Authorization and appropriation for state veterans' cemetery in Sioux Falls.
PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
202. SB 164 Catheter use without consent of the patient prohibited.
203. SB 32 Controlled substances schedule, revised.
204. SB 93 The intentional exposure of others to certain diseases.
. SB 110
Legislative findings pertaining to pre-abortion counseling.206
. SB 88
. HB 1015
Explosives, pyrotechnics, and fireworks to protect sunflower crops, regulation changed.208
. SB 98
Revise provisions regarding the 911 emergency surcharge.209
. SB 99
Release 911 emergency surcharge information to public safety answering points.210
. SB 20
The State and Province Emergency Management Assistance Memorandum of Understanding, enacted.211
. SB 31
Appropriation for certain health care recruitment assistance programs.ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
212. SB 25 Permit fees revised under the national pollutant discharge elimination system, revised.
213. HB 1070 Alcoholic beverage regulation changed.
214. SB 70 The sale and use of alcoholic beverages, regulated.
215. HB 1146 The consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard vehicles operated by licensed carriers, regulated.
216. HB 1185 The storage of wine at certain licensed premises.
217. SB 178 Alcoholic beverage licensing exemption for events conducted by certain civic, charitable, educational, fraternal, or veteran's organizations.
218. HB 1157 Alcohol manufacturers and wholesalers may enter into sponsorship agreements with alcohol retail licensees.
219. HB 1121 Fees for certain on-sale and off-sale retail liquor licenses.
220. HB 1273 Convention facility on-sale licenses to sell alcoholic beverages.
221. HB 1173 Inactive status for airport liquor licenses.
222. HB 1067 The licensing of wineries and wine manufacturers.
223. HB 1313 The licensing of distillers and cider manufacturers.
224. SB 173 Microbreweries and malt beverage manufacturers regulated.
225. SB 187 Wine manufacturer licenses.
PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
226. HB 1019 Background checks for physicians.
. SB 71
License renewal for the practice of medicine.228
. HB 1021
The practice of podiatry revised and certain fee increases authorized.229
. HB 1020
Medical assistants, requirements revised.230
. HB 1079
Physical therapists may perform dry needling treatment.231
. SB 75
The dispensing of biological products, regulated.232
. HB 1026
Educational requirements for the practice of cosmetology, updated.233
. HB 1087
Students to test for cosmetologist, esthetician, and nail technician licensure.234
. HB 1027
The number of apprentices in a salon, increased.235
. HB 1086
Assisted living facilities exempt from the salon license requirement. 236
. HB 1031
References regarding real estate licensing, updated.237
. HB 1032
Credit unions not required to be licensed as real estate brokers.238
. HB 1040
Professional counselors licensed in another state may be licensed here.TRADE REGULATION
239. SB 153 Disclosure of fees imposed by overnight lodging accommodations.
AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
240. HB 1214 The State Conservation Commission and conservation districts requirements changed.
241. HB 1115 Crop liens.
242. SB 209 The Nutrient Research and Education Council.
243. SB 34 Registration for pesticide products.
244. SB 166 Moisture and protein content devices regulation repealed.
FOOD AND DRUGS
245. SB 169 Confections that contain alcohol regulated.
246. HB 1035 Labeling requirements for feed.
ANIMALS AND LIVESTOCK
247. SB 156 Brand inspections.
GAME, FISH, PARKS, AND FORESTRY
248. HB 1047 Fur-bearing animals, definition revised.
249. HB 1148 The eligibility to serve on the Game, Fish, and Parks Commission.
. HB 1106
Hunting preference points may be granted to persons age ten years or older.251
. HB 1046
Certain residents to receive a big game license during the Black Hills deer season.252
. SB 137
The minimum hunting age.253
. HB 1219
The use of night vision equipment in hunting.254
. SB 68
Assistance provided to counties by state firefighting resources.255
. HB 1081
Effective date changed regarding the recreational use of nonmeandered water.RECREATION AND SPORTS
256. SB 43 The regulation of limited gaming in Deadwood.
257. SB 44 A license for certain gaming equipment manufacturers and distributors.
258. SB 45 The sale of unclaimed property.
259. SB 119 Fraudulent disability documentation when renting accommodations.
260. HB 1136 Cooperatives, regulation revised.
PUBLIC UTILITIES AND CARRIERS
261. HB 1024 South Dakota One Call, recast.
262. HB 1159 Notification regarding damage of underground facilities.
263. SB 21 Federal motor carrier regulations, references updated.
264. HB 1014 The application of the intrastate exemption for certain commercial motor vehicles revised.
265. HB 1213 Telephone and telegraph corporations, formation revised.
266. HB 1168 The abandonment or dissolution of television translator districts.
267. HB 1023 Pipeline safety revisions.
268. SB 26 Public grain buyers' requirements changed.
269. HB 1258 Aviation.
BANKS AND BANKING
270. HB 1028 Trust company requirements changed.
DEBTOR AND CREDITOR
271. HB 1082 Licensure exemption for the lending of money.
272. HB 1094 Limitations on licensees engaged in the business of making loans.
273. HB 1127 Fees prohibited for credit security freeze.
274. HB 1078 The removal of credit security freezes.
FIDUCIARIES AND TRUSTS
275. HB 1072 Trust law revised.
UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE
276. HB 1248 Filing and recording secured transaction records.
277. HB 1093 Insurance transactions and policies in a language other than English.
278. HB 1042 Division of Insurance references updated.
279. HB 1205 Health benefit plans to provide coverage for certain dental care services.
280. HB 1034 Beneficiaries on life policies and annuity contracts to be identified and located.
281. SB 141 Pharmacy benefits management.
282. HB 1033 Licensing renewal revised for business insurance producers.
283. HB 1041 Insurers' internal audit requirements revised.
284. HB 1030 Cancellation of uncollectible unemployment insurance contributions.
285. HB 1029 Fees increased for self-insured employers.
SUPREME COURT RULES AND ORDERS
286. 17-07 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-6-83.
287. 17-08 In the Matter of the Amendment to the Appendix of SDCL Chapter 16-1A Relating to Judicial Nominations.
288. 17-09 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-3-5.1.
289. 17-10 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Style and Form of Amended Supreme Court Rules.
290. 17-11 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 23A-13-10.
. 17-12 In the Matter of the Adoption to the Appendix of SDCL Chapter 16-17 Relating to the By-laws of the State Bar of South Dakota.292
. 18-01 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-21A-2(4).293
. 18-02 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 1-26-33.294
. 18-03 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-6-5(g).295
. 18-04 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-6-30(f).296
. 18-05 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-3-5.1.297
. 18-06 In the Matter of the Amendments and Adoptions to South Dakota Rules of Professional Conduct.298
. 18-07 In the Matter of the Amendments and Adoptions to Chapter 16-19 Discipline of Attorneys.299
. 18-08 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 23A-35-4.3.300
. 18-09 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 23A-44-5.1(5).301
. 18-10 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 23A-4-1.302
. 18-11 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 16-18-34.4.303
. 18-12 In the Matter of the Amendment of Appendix A to SDCL 16-18.
BILL NUMBER TO CHAPTER NUMBER CROSS-REFERENCE TABLE
ENACTED, AMENDED, AND REPEALED SECTIONS TABLE