The effective date of most of the legislation in this volume is July 1, 2019. See SDCL 2-14-16. Legislation with other effective dates will contain the effective date as one of its provisions.
STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT
1. HB 1264 An appropriation for the payment of extraordinary litigation expenses.
2. HB 1048 Public body may deliberate in an executive or closed meeting.
3. SB 91 Open meeting requirements.
4. SB 45 The statement of additional issues on appeal in certain contested cases.
5. SB 59 Settlement agreement as a public record.
6. SB 126 The official indigenous language of the state.
7. SB 8 A statewide resource information system authorized.
8. HB 1122 References changed for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing.
9. HB 1013 Criminal background investigations for vital records employees.
10. SB 13 Transportation Commission rule-making authority modified.
11. HB 1012 State health laboratory services revamped.
12. HB 1002 Criminal background checks for applicants and employees of the Department of Public Safety.
13. HB 1039 Postsecondary technical institutes may use the Obligation Recovery Center.
LEGISLATURE AND STATUTES
14. HB 1094 Transparency for the petition circulation process.
15. HB 1093 Legal standards applicable to petition challenges.
16. SB 5 Codification of legislation enacted in 2018.
17. SB 3 Special Education interim committee, created.
18. SB 167 A legislative study regarding offenses related to controlled substances.
19. SB 66 Interim study of issues related to electric services in an annexed area.
PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
20. SB 90 Financial interest statements filed by persons elected to state or local office.
21. HB 1009 Employment by the state, requirements updated.
. HB 1010
South Dakota Retirement System, revised.23
. HB 1011
Provisions updated relating to the South Dakota Retirement System.24
. HB 1045
Campus security officers defined for the South Dakota Retirement System.25
. HB 1022
The limitations on indemnification by the state.26
. HB 1064
Temporary appointments to the State Government Accountability Board.PUBLIC FISCAL ADMINISTRATION
27. SB 191 The General Appropriations Act for the ordinary expenses of state government for fiscal year 2020.
28. SB 180 The General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2019, revised.
29. HB 1255 Appropriation from the coordinated natural resources conservation fund.
30. HB 1262 An appropriation to reimburse health care professionals.
31. SB 34 Appropriation to replace the Elm Lake Dam spillway.
32. HB 1259 An appropriation for costs related to disasters.
33. HB 1261 Appropriation for costs related to suppression of wildfires.
34. SB 176 Appropriation for the second century habitat fund.
35. SB 172 An appropriation for costs related to disasters in the state.
36. SB 178 Appropriation to the Department of Game, Fish and Parks for improvements to Palisades State Park.
37. SB 181 Transfer funds from the budget reserve fund.
38. SB 128 An appropriation to select racing funds.
39. HB 1187 Appropriation for the Flaming Fountain on Capitol Lake.
40. HB 1254 Appropriations from the water and environment fund and its revolving fund subfunds.
41. SB 173 Appropriation for health care innovation grants.
42. SB 174 Appropriation for the construction of a health services building and renovation at the Jameson Prison Annex.
43. SB 175 Appropriation for the South Dakota Ellsworth Development Authority.
44. SB 177 Department of Public Safety may remodel a structure in Sturgis for use as the state metrology lab.
PUBLIC PROPERTY, PURCHASES AND CONTRACTS
45. HB 1031 Wind and solar easements and leases authorized by the commissioner of School and Public Lands.
46. HB 1030 Office of School and Public Lands may accept internet bidding.
47. HB 1020 The state building committee for capital improvement projects.
48. HB 1021 Bid bonds for public improvement contracts.
49. HB 1052 Electronic notice given to county commissioners for special sessions.
50. HB 1215 Posting county and municipality ordinances.
51. HB 1056 Local ordinances prohibited regarding firearms.
52. HB 1200 Contact information posted for township supervisors.
53. SB 92 The signature requirements for municipal elections.
54. HB 1128 The maximum term of promissory notes issued to municipalities.
55. HB 1176 Municipal regulation of saline tattoo removal.
56. SB 25 The authority of Department of Revenue special agents.
57. HB 1015 Update references to the Internal Revenue Code.
58. HB 1081 Paraplegic or amputee veterans retain a property tax exemption each year.
59. HB 1080 Property tax exemption increased for veterans with a disability.
60. SB 4 Department of Revenue study of classification of agricultural land revised for property tax purposes.
61. HB 1084 Affordable housing specified for purposes of taxation.
62. SB 179 Property tax levies for the general fund of school districts and to revise the state aid to education formula.
63. HB 1256 Appropriation to fund tax refunds for elderly persons and elderly persons with a disability.
64. HB 1014 Payment of the tax imposed on financial institutions and banks, requirement changed.
65. HB 1204 Sales of goods and services by minors exempt from the sales tax.
. HB 1017
Contraband cigarettes to be destroyed.67
. SB 21
Money in a qualified escrow fund may be assigned to the state.ELECTIONS
68. HB 1157 Challenges to candidate nominating petitions.
69. HB 1025 Voter registration.
70. HB 1008 Notice requirements changed for biennial state political party conventions.
71. SB 77 Candidates running for more than one office.
72. SB 76 A candidate for legislative or county office may be considered for nomination to statewide office.
73. HB 1026 Petitions, notices, and statements of convention nominees and certifications of party officials.
74. SB 75 Who is eligible to serve as a candidate in the event of a vacancy.
75. HB 1027 Vote centers and precinct workers.
76. HB 1098 Publication of official ballots in a legal newspaper.
77. SB 114 Campaign contributions by minors attributed to their parents.
78. HB 1143 Contribution limits to political action committees.
79. HB 1092 Campaign finance disclosure reports.
80. HB 1189 Campaign finance violations corrections.
81. SB 23 Obsolete provisions repealed regarding the Department of Education.
82. SB 55 The national motto of the United States to be displayed in public schools.
83. HB 1044 Children subject to military relocation may apply for enrollment in a school district.
84. SB 84 The possession and administration of opioid antagonists by school personnel.
85. SB 182 The special education property tax levy for school districts and the state aid to special education formula.
86. HB 1001 The allocations for the disability levels in the state aid to special education formula, revised.
87. SB 1 The Extraordinary Cost Oversight Board, membership revised.
88. SB 43 Tax revenue and funding to a collaborative program in rural veterinary medical education.
. SB 44
An appropriation to the Board of Regents to sell extraneous real property and to purchase other real property.90
. HB 1037
Appropriation to the Board of Regents for the construction of a sports complex at Northern State University.91
. HB 1038
Appropriation to demolish Scobey Hall.92
. SB 40
Transfer real property to the Animal Industry Board.93
. HB 1007
The twelve-month residency requirement for university students, changed.94
. HB 1087
Intellectual diversity at institutions of higher education.95
. SB 140
Increase enrolled members of the nine federally recognized tribes in South Dakota at regental institutions.96
. HB 1040
The opportunity scholarship program, requirements changed.97
. SB 96
A tax credit for contributions to a scholarship granting organization.COURTS AND JUDICIARY
98. SB 163 Jury lists.
99. HB 1046 The attorney recruitment assistance program, revised.
OATHS AND ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
100. HB 1272 Electronic and remote notarization.
101. HB 1072 The Uniform Unsworn Domestic Declarations Act, correct a definition.
102. HB 1074 The privilege to refuse to disclose information.
103. HB 1155 Privileged communications between social workers and students.
PERSONAL RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
104. SB 189 A fund created to receive civil recoveries to offset costs incurred by riot boosting.
105. HB 1070 The judgment by confession procedure, revised.
106. SB 115 Conditional carrying of a concealed pistol in the state capitol.
107. HB 1193 Criminal penalty for causing an abortion against a pregnant mother's will.
108. SB 74 Enhanced penalties for multiple convictions.
. HB 1063
Sexual activity for a fee or other compensation.110
. HB 1050
The use and possession of scanning devices and reencoders, regulated. 111
. HB 1198
Activities that define human trafficking.LAW ENFORCEMENT
112. HB 1180 The collection and storage of sexual assault kit evidence.
113. SB 47 The permit to carry a concealed pistol, requirements changed.
114. SB 164 Procedure to investigate missing and murdered indigenous persons.
115. HB 1047 Licensed psychologist recommendations for treatment as a condition for probation.
116. HB 1003 Deferred imposition of sentence, eligibility changed.
117. HB 1061 A court order to test for HIV at the request of crime victims.
PENAL INSTITUTIONS, PROBATION AND PAROLE
118. HB 1005 The Board of Pardons and Paroles may make clemency recommendations.
119. HB 1004 Parole date calculation changed.
120. HB 1006 Parole reports and plans, requirements changed.
121. SB 143 Visitation rights of a person causing conception by rape or incest.
122. HB 1067 Adult adoption.
123. HB 1043 The Department of Social Services to report information regarding parent of child subject to abuse or neglect.
124. HB 1029 Criminal background checks for adults working in child care institutions.
125. HB 1186 The juvenile detention cost-sharing fund sunset, repealed.
MENTALLY ILL PERSONS
126. HB 1099 Caregiver designated to receive information regarding residents of treatment facilities.
PUBLIC WELFARE AND ASSISTANCE
127. SB 30 Federal references and dates relating to the Department of Social Services, updated.
HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
128. HB 1077 Designating a no maintenance highway.
129. SB 129 Motor vehicles owned by licensed ambulance services exempt from motor vehicle registration fees.
130. HB 1059 Motor vehicle dealer licensing revised.
131. HB 1068 Commercial motor vehicles may follow another motor vehicle more closely than otherwise permitted by law.
132. SB 121 Manufacturers' warranties for motor vehicles to include all-terrain vehicles.
133. SB 12 Commercial driver license holders disqualified for failure to consent to chemical analyses.
134. HB 1054 The possession of firearms on certain vehicles.
135. SB 187 Electric bicycles regulated.
136. SB 11 Work permits to minors who refuse to submit to chemical analyses.
137. HB 1049 Driving after consuming certain drugs or substances.
138. HB 1216 Penalties increased for fleeing from police.
139. HB 1257 The Department of the Military may construct two storage buildings.
140. HB 1263 Appropriation for the construction of a National Guard Readiness Center at the Rapid City Airport.
141. HB 1260 Appropriation to continue the veteran's bonus program.
PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
142. SB 155 Additional nursing facility beds for the Michael J. Fitzmaurice Veterans Home.
143. SB 61 Nursing facility closures regulated.
144. HB 1124 Information on breast density in a mammogram report.
145. HB 1055 Parental notification and agreement required before issuing an order to withhold resuscitation.
146. SB 118 Advance care planning.
147. HB 1121 Health inspections of food service establishments.
148. SB 22 The controlled substances schedule.
. SB 72
Physician to use a prescribed consent form for an abortion. 150
. SB 85
The deadline for the Department of Health's annual report regarding abortions.151
. HB 1190
Reporting requirements revised related to abortions.152
. HB 1177
Sonogram required before performing an abortion.153
. HB 1110
Penalty for failure to file a birth or death certificate.154
. SB 56
The regulation of fireworks.155
. HB 1209
Electronic smoking device product regulation.156
. SB 136
The use of telehealth by a health care professional.157
. SB 190
Pipeline construction and fiscal responsibility.ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
158. HB 1018 Fees transferred from the Department of Revenue to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
159. HB 1258 Create the clean air act settlement fund and to make an appropriation.
160. SB 73 Qualifications for sanitary district trustees.
161. HB 1082 Scrap metal purchases.
162. HB 1016 Revise provisions of the alcoholic beverages code.
163. SB 48 County on behalf of an improvement district may issue convention facility on-sale licenses to sell alcoholic beverages.
164. SB 124 The transportation of alcoholic beverages by retail licensees.
165. SB 53 Alcoholic beverage discounts.
166. SB 98 Sunset repealed for wine manufacturer's license.
PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
167. HB 1111 Professional or occupational licensure for military personnel and spouses.
168. SB 78 Medical providers exempt from licensure.
169. SB 35 Revocation of occupational licenses.
170. HB 1057 The definition of attest revised for the purposes of public accountancy.
171. HB 1076 Real estate licensee team and advertising restrictions.
. HB 1079
A person may perform plumbing work on the person's own property without a license.173
. SB 32
The composition of the South Dakota Board of Social Work Examiners, revised.174
. SB 146
Licenses revised for speech-language pathology services.175
. SB 31
Criminal background checks for assistant behavior analysts and paraprofessionals.176
. HB 1036
The Board of Technical Professions, authority updated.TRADE REGULATION
177. SB 20 Consumer protection updated.
178. HB 1103 Lemon law for farm machinery.
AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
179. HB 1075 Conservation district governing boards.
180. SB 100 Petition signatures reduced for conservation district supervisor elections.
FOOD AND DRUGS
181. SB 68 Misbranding of food products.
ANIMALS AND LIVESTOCK
182. SB 154 The production and transport of saltwater crustaceans.
183. SB 149 Brand fees and brand registration application fee.
GAME, FISH, PARKS, AND FORESTRY
184. HB 1242 Opossums included in the definition of predator.
185. SB 153 A special hunting license with the proceeds to be used for habitat.
186. HB 1159 Hunting mourning doves on public roads and highways.
187. HB 1073 Killing birds or animals from a drone regulated.
188. SB 63 Penalty increased for a subsequent trespass conviction.
189. HB 1201 Group pheasant hunts for disabled veterans.
190. HB 1024 The species of game fish that may be used as bait.
191. HB 1023 The sale and purchase of big game animal parts, regulated.
RECREATION AND SPORTS
192. SB 26 Regulation of limited gaming manufacturers or distributors in Deadwood, South Dakota.
193. SB 99 Commercial security deposits regulated.
194. HB 1146 Unclaimed property.
195. SB 70 Hospital liens.
196. HB 1202 Number of qualified directors of a corporation needed to take certain actions.
197. SB 123 The adoption of privacy protection policies.
PUBLIC UTILITIES AND CARRIERS
198. SB 10 Federal motor carrier regulations, references updated..
199. SB 18 References to federal laws and regulations regarding pipeline safety inspections updated.
200. SB 15 Solar energy facilities regulated.
201. SB 64 Wind energy facilities to include aircraft detection lighting systems.
202. SB 16 Financial security for the decommissioning of wind turbines.
203. HB 1071 Aviation revisions.
204. HB 1090 The exercise of governmental authority over certain adjoining property.
BANKS AND BANKING
205. HB 1033 The transaction of business by trust companies.
206. HB 1032 Money transmission regulation.
207. HB 1196 Blockchain technology defined for certain purposes.
DEBTOR AND CREDITOR
208. SB 113 Applications for money lending licenses are public records.
FIDUCIARIES AND TRUSTS
209. SB 51 Trust provisions revised.
210. SB 54 Perpetual care cemeteries maintenance funds regulated.
211. SB 137 Payment of claims for covered services provided by a health care professional via telehealth.
212. SB 37 Association health plans requirements revised, revised.
213. HB 1137 Pharmacy benefit managers regulated.
214. HB 1219 Surplus line insurance revisions.
215. HB 1053 The gift value changed for insurance advertising or promotional programs.
216. HB 1035 The unemployment insurance program renamed the redeployment assistance program.
217. HB 1034 Unemployment insurance contribution rates changed.
218. SB 36 Membership revised for the State Workers' Compensation Advisory Council.
SUPREME COURT RULES AND ORDERS
219. 18-13 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-21A-2(3).
220. 18-14 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 15-6-6(a).
221. 18-15 In the Matter of the Amendments and Adoptions to Appendix A. to SDCL Chapter 16-16, Regulations of the Board of Bar Examiners State of South Dakota.
222. 19-01 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 15-26C-1.
223. 19-02 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 15-26C-2.
224. 19-03 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCl 15-26C-3.
225. 19-04 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 15-26C-4.
226. 19-05 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 15-26A-79.
227. 19-06 In the Matter of the Amendment to Appendix A. to SDCL Chapter 16-1A, Rules of the Judicial Commission, Section II., Judicial Nominations, Part 2.
228. 19-07 In the Matter of the Adoption of Rules Concerning Electronic Access to Documents and Document Charges Through the Unified Judicial System's Electronic Access Portal to be Designated at SDCL Chapter 16-2.
229. 19-08 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-16-11.
230. 19-09 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 16-16-12.1.
231. 19-10 In the Matter of the Amendment to SDCL 16-16-13.
. 19-11 In the Matter of the Amendment to Appendix A., SDCL Chapter 16-16, Regulations of the Board of Bar Examiners, State of South Dakota.233
. 19-12 In the Matter of the Amendment to Appendix to SDCL Chapter 16-17, the State Bar of South Dakota By-Laws.234
. 19-13 In the Matter of the Adoption of a Rule Concerning the Admissibility of Statements Made During a Jail Mental Health Screen to be Designated at SDCL Chapter 24-11.EXECUTIVE ORDERS
235. 2019-01 Executive Reorganization Order 2019-01.
236. HJR 1004 Rescinding House Joint Resolutions calling for a constitutional convention.
237. IM 24 Political contributions from out-of-state interests regulated.
BILL NUMBER TO CHAPTER NUMBER CROSS-REFERENCE TABLE
ENACTED, AMENDED, AND REPEALED SECTIONS TABLE