SDLRC - 2020 House Bill 1215 - SD Legislature prohibit the state from endorsing or enforcing certain policies regarding domestic relations.
An Act to prohibit the state from endorsing or
enforcing certain policies regarding domestic relations.
by the Legislature of the State of South Dakota:
Section 1. That a NEW SECTION be added:
25-11-1. Marriage policies--Prohibitions.
The state may not enforce, endorse, or favor
(1) Permit any form of marriage that does
not involve a man and a woman;
(2) Appropriate benefits to persons who
enter a marriage other than a marriage involving a man and a woman;
(3) Permit counties to issue marriage
licenses to persons other than for a marriage involving a man and a
(4) Treat sexual orientation as a suspect
class or as a basis of prohibited discrimination;
(5) Recognize a person's belief that that
person was born a gender that does not accord with the biological sex
of the person as determined by that person's anatomy at birth;
(6) Appropriate tax dollars to pay for sex
(7) Ban conversion therapy. Under this
subdivision, conversion therapy, means a therapeutic practice in
which a licensed medical professional, acting under authorized
consent, assists a client in the goal or realigning the client's
sexual preference to prefer members of the opposite sex who have
corresponding reproductive anatomy;
(8) Permit public libraries or public
schools in the state to partner with nonsecular organizations to
promote, host, sponsor, favor, or endorse drag queen storytime;
(9) Mandate pronoun changes;
(10) Condone or affirm homosexual,
transgender, zoophilia, objectophilia, polygamy, or sexual
orientation doctrines; and
(11) Permit a person to change the sex on a
birth certificate to a sex that does not accord with that person's
anatomy at birth.
Section 2. That a NEW SECTION be added:
25-11-2. Rights not affected by chapter.
This chapter does not affect:
(1) Marriages between a man and a woman;
(2) A person's right to set the person's
self-asserted, sex-based identity narrative or sexual orientation;
(3) A person's right to practice secular
Catchlines are not law.
(§ 2-16-13.1) Underscores
indicate new language.
indicate deleted language.