State of South Dakota
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY, 2008
||HOUSE BILL NO. 1303 |
Introduced by: Representatives Van Norman, Ahlers, Bradford, Burg, DeVries, Elliott, Engels, Feinstein, Gillespie, Halverson, Hills, Lucas, Nygaard, Sigdestad, Street, and Thompson and Senators Maher, Bartling, Heidepriem, Hoerth, Hundstad, Kloucek, Nesselhuf, Turbak Berry, and Two Bulls
FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to require the South Dakota State Library to deliver services and materials to residents in remote areas of the state, and to deliver those services and materials to students and low-income residents free of charge.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That § 14-1-44 be amended to read as follows:
14-1-44. The State Library Office shall be responsible for executing the library policy of the State of South Dakota and shall:
(1) Promote adequate library service for all the people of the state;
(2) Supplement the services of libraries throughout the state;
(3) Deliver services and materials directly to those persons in remote areas of the state who have inadequate or no public library service, and deliver those services and materials at no charge to students and low-income residents;
(3) (4) Increase the proficiency of library personnel through provision of in-service and continuing education programs for library personnel employed in the state;
(4) (5) Provide for the citizens of the state specialized library services and materials not generally appropriate, economical, or available in other libraries of the state;
(5) (6) Coordinate the libraries maintained by the executive department of state government within the governmental complex in Pierre;
(6) (7) Establish and operate a state publications library distribution center; and (7) (8)
Collect and publish annual statistical data of libraries in the state.