ENTITLED, An Act to revise certain provisions related to school district fund balances and to declare an emergency.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That § 13-13-10.1 be amended to read as follows:
13-13-10.1. Terms used in this chapter mean:
(1) "Average daily membership," the average number of resident and nonresident kindergarten through twelfth grade pupils enrolled in all schools operated by the school district during the previous regular school year, minus average number of pupils for whom the district receives tuition, except pupils described in subdivision (1A) and pupils for whom tuition is being paid pursuant to § 13-28-42.1 and plus the average number of pupils for whom the district pays tuition;
(1A) Nonresident students who are in the care and custody of the Department of Social Services, the Unified Judicial System, the Department of Corrections, or other state agencies and are attending a public school may be included in the average daily membership of the receiving district when enrolled in the receiving district. When counting a student who meets these criteria in its general enrollment average daily membership, the receiving district may begin the enrollment on the first day of attendance. The district of residence prior to the custodial transfer may not include students who meet these criteria in its general enrollment average daily membership after the student ceases to attend school in the resident district;
(2) "Adjusted average daily membership," calculated as follows:
(a) For districts with an average daily membership of two hundred or less, multiply 1.2 times the average daily membership;
(b) For districts with an average daily membership of less than six hundred, but greater than two hundred, raise the average daily membership to the 0.8293 power and multiply the result times 2.98;
(c) For districts with an average daily membership of six hundred or more, multiply 1.0 times their average daily membership;
(2A) "Fall enrollment," the number of kindergarten through twelfth grade students enrolled in all schools operated by the school district on the last Friday of September of the current school year minus the number of students for whom the district receives tuition, except nonresident students who are in the care and custody of a state agency and are attending a public school and students for whom tuition is being paid pursuant to § 13-28-42.1, plus the number of students for whom the district pays tuition. When computing state aid to education for a school district under the foundation program pursuant to § 13-13-73, the secretary of the Department of Education shall use either the school district's fall enrollment or the average of the school district's fall enrollment from the previous two years, whichever is higher;
(2B) Repealed by SL 2010, ch 84, § 1.
(2C) "Small school adjustment," calculated as follows:
(a) For districts with a fall enrollment of two hundred or less, multiply 0.2 times $4,237.72;
(b) For districts with a fall enrollment of greater than two hundred, but less than six hundred, multiply the fall enrollment times negative 0.0005; add 0.3 to that result; and multiply the sum obtained times $4,237.72;
The determination of the small school adjustment for a school district may not include any students residing in a residential treatment facility when the education program is
operated by the school district;
(3) "Index factor," is the annual percentage change in the consumer price index for urban wage earners and clerical workers as computed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the United States Department of Labor for the year before the year immediately preceding the year of adjustment or three percent, whichever is less;
(4) "Per student allocation," for school fiscal year 2011 is $4,804.60. Each school fiscal year thereafter, the per student allocation is the previous fiscal year's per student allocation increased by the index factor;
(5) "Local need," is the sum of:
(a) The per student allocation multiplied by the fall enrollment; and
(b) The small school adjustment, if applicable, multiplied by the fall enrollment;
(6) "Local effort," the amount of ad valorem taxes generated in a school fiscal year by applying the levies established pursuant to § 10-12-42;
(7) "General fund balance percentage," is a school district's general fund equity divided by the school district's total general fund expenditures for the previous school fiscal year, the quotient expressed as a percent.
Section 2. That § 13-13-10.3 be repealed.
Section 3. That § 13-13-73.2 be repealed.
Section 4. That § 13-13-73.3 be repealed.
Section 5. That § 13-13-73.4 be repealed.
Section 6. That § 13-13-76 be repealed.
Section 7. That § 13-13-77 be repealed.
Section 8. Whereas, this Act is necessary for the support of the state government and its existing public institutions, an emergency is hereby declared to exist, and this Act shall be in full force and
effect from and after its passage and approval.
An Act to revise certain provisions related to school district fund balances and to declare an emergency.
I certify that the attached Act originated in the
SENATE as Bill No. 200
Secretary of the Senate
President of the Senate
Secretary of the Senate
Speaker of the House
Senate Bill No. 200
File No. ____
Chapter No. ______
Received at this Executive Office this _____ day of _____________ ,
20____ at ____________ M.
for the Governor
The attached Act is hereby approved this ________ day of ______________ , A.D., 20___
STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA,
Office of the Secretary of State
Filed ____________ , 20___
at _________ o'clock __ M.
Secretary of State
Asst. Secretary of State