20:48:04.02:09. Dialysis technician training curriculum. The training program for dialysis technicians must include:
(1) General information relevant to the performance of selected hemodialysis tasks including:
(a) Governmental regulations related to end stage renal disease, the practice of nursing, and delegation;
(b) The role of the dialysis technician in hemodialysis;
(c) Ethical issues;
(d) Client rights and responsibilities;
(e) Terminology, abbreviations, and symbols;
(f) Basic client care skills including the collection of vital signs, weight, intake, and output;
(g) Universal precautions and aseptic technique;
(h) Quality assurance and continuous quality improvement; and
(2) Renal anatomy and physiology;
(3) End stage renal disease and treatments;
(4) Principles of hemodialysis;
(5) Hemodialysis procedures;
(6) Access procedures;
(7) Laboratory procedures;
(8) Administration of lidocaine, heparin, and saline;
(9) Identification of and response to hemodialysis-related emergencies;
(10) Discontinuing hemodialysis;
(11) Reprocessing and reuse; and
(12) Clinical or laboratory instruction for the purpose of demonstration of selected tasks of hemodialysis and evaluation of individual competence.
Source: 24 SDR 165, effective June 1, 1998.
General Authority:SDCL 36-9-21.
Law Implemented:SDCL 36-9-3, 36-9-4, 36-9-4.1, 36-9-21.
Back to 20:48:04.02