20:48:07:32. Clinical facilities and resources. The nursing education program and faculty must meet the following requirements for clinical facilities and resources:
(1) Develop written criteria for clinical or practicum facility selection and utilization with consultation from the clinical agency;
(2) Maintain and annually review all written agreements with clinical or practicum facilities;
(3) Conduct an annual evaluation with the clinical agency for each clinical or practicum unit utilized to determine the appropriateness of its continued use for clinical experiences;
(4) Utilize clinical or practicum facilities which:
(a) Are approved by the applicable accreditation, evaluation, or licensing bodies;
(b) Meet the nursing education program's criteria for facility selection and utilization as developed under subdivision (1) of this section; and
(c) Have a utilization occupancy rate or census on the areas utilized by the program to assure student learning experiences are available for all students scheduled in the area of learning;
(5) Supervise students in the clinical facilities; and
(6) Maintain a faculty-to-student ratio in clinical facilities which does not exceed 1:8. The board shall consider the nature of the clinical experience in determining compliance with this requirement.
Source: 3 SDR 35, effective November 11, 1976; 9 SDR 151, effective May 30, 1983; 12 SDR 151, 12 SDR 155, effective July 1, 1986; transferred from § 20:48:07:09, 18 SDR 107, effective December 30, 1991; 31 SDR 26, effective September 8, 2004; 45 SDR 9, effective July 30, 2018.
General Authority: SDCL 36-9-21(8).
Law Implemented: SDCL 36-9-58.
Declaratory Ruling: All nursing programs must comply with the faculty-to-student ratio in clinical facilities specified in subdivision 20:48:07:32(6). South Dakota Board of Nursing Declaratory Ruling No. 94-3.
Back to 20:48:07