44:03:01:08. Prohibited uses of radiation. No person may be exposed to diagnostic or therapeutic radiation except for healing arts purposes and only if the exposure has been authorized by a licensed practitioner of the healing arts. No person may be exposed to the useful beam for non-healing arts training, instruction, or demonstration, or other purposes. The following radiation producing equipment may not be used and the following specified procedures may not be performed:
(1) Fluoroscopic devices for fitting shoes;
(2) Photofluorographic equipment;
(3) Dental fluoroscopic imaging assemblies;
(4) Hand-held radiographic or fluoroscopic imaging devices, except for intra-oral radiographic imaging devices;
(5) The use of fluoroscopy for positioning a patient for general radiographic imaging, except for radiation therapy simulators;
(6) The use of fluoroscopy and c-arm fluoroscopes by a person other than a licensed practitioner of the healing arts unless under the supervision of a licensed practitioner of the healing arts;
(7) The use of direct exposure X ray film (without intensifying screens) for routine diagnostic procedures other than intraoral dental radiography, therapeutic portal imaging, and industrial radiography;
(8) Nonimage intensified fluoroscopic X ray equipment; or
(9) The use of X ray equipment for mammography unless specifically designed by the manufacturer for the imaging of the breast.
Source: SL 1975, ch 16, § 1; 6 SDR 93, effective July 1, 1980; 26 SDR 96, effective January 23, 2000; 35 SDR 47, effective September 8, 2008.
General Authority: SDCL 34-21-4.1, 34-21-15.
Law Implemented: SDCL 34-21-4.1, 34-21-23.
Back to 44:03:01