44:03:01:14.02. Operator training requirements for diagnostic radiation equipment. A qualified instructor must do all training for operators of diagnostic radiation equipment. Documentation of the training must include the dates, instructor, and subjects covered. Continuing education credits would qualify as part of the training. The following are areas in which an individual must have documented training for the operation of X ray equipment:
(1) Fundamentals of radiation safety must cover characteristics of radiation, units of radiation measurement, hazards of exposure to radiation, levels of radiation from sources, and methods of controlling radiation dose;
(2) Familiarization with equipment must cover identification of controls, function of each control, how each control affects technique chart, and utilization of technique chart;
(3) Film processing must cover film speed as related to patient exposure, film processing with automatic processors, film processing manually, and factors affecting film processing quality;
(4) Anatomy and positioning relative to scope of practice, including patient preparation, and correct method for performing procedures; and
(5) The requirement of federal and state regulations pertinent to the services offered.
Source: 26 SDR 96, effective January 23, 2000.
General Authority: SDCL 34-21-4.1, 34-21-15.
Law Implemented: SDCL 34-21-4.1, 34-21-14.
Back to 44:03:01