1-15-30. Responsibilities of Council of Juvenile Services.
The Council of Juvenile Services shall be responsible for the following:
(1) In conjunction with the secretary of the Department of Corrections, establish policy on how the formula grants program of the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act is to be administered in South Dakota;
(2) Approve the state plan, and any modifications thereto, required by 223(a) of the Act prior to submission to the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention;
(3) Submit annual recommendations to the Governor and Legislature concerning the functions of the Council of Juvenile Services and the status of the state's compliance with the Act;
(4) Approve or disapprove grant applications and other funding requests submitted to the Department of Corrections under §§ 1-15-27 to 1-15-31, inclusive, and assist with monitoring grants and other fund awards;
(5) Assist the Department of Corrections in monitoring the state's compliance with the Act;
(6) Study the coordination of the various juvenile intervention, prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation programs;
(7) Study effective juvenile sentencing, adjudication, and diversion policies and provisions;
(8) Make a special study of, and make an annual report to the Governor, the Unified Judicial System, and the Legislature by June thirtieth of each year concerning, the appropriate administration of and provision for children in need of supervision in this state;
(9) Contact and seek regular input from juveniles currently under the jurisdiction of the juvenile justice system; and
(10) Perform other such activities as determined by the Governor, the secretary of the Department of Corrections, or the Council of Juvenile Services.
Source: SL 1992, ch 372 (Ex. Ord. 92-2), § 25; SL 2003, ch 9, § 3.