1-26-6. Completion of adoption of rule or change in rules.
The adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is complete when:
(1) All the requirements of § 1-26-4 have been completed or, if the rule is an emergency rule, three days have passed since all the requirements of § 1-26-5 have been complied with;
(2) It has been signed by a majority of the members of the multi-member body or by the officer having the authority to adopt it;
(3) It has been signed by the director;
(4) A copy has been filed with the director, in a form prescribed by the director to show amendments, deletions, and other changes to existing rules, for use in preparation of copy for the Administrative Rules of South Dakota;
(5) The rule and a certificate have been filed with the secretary of state. The certificate shall affirm that the rule filed is a true and correct copy of the rule as adopted and that the agency has complied with § 1-26-4 or 1-26-5, and with this section; and
(6) For a permanent rule, the agency has appeared and presented the proposed rule to the Interim Rules Review Committee.
Certificates required by this section shall be affidavits executed, under oath, by the officers authorized by statute to promulgate the rule. If a rule is promulgated by a multi-member body, the certificate shall be signed by its presiding officer.
Emergency rules are provisionally effective immediately after being filed. Notwithstanding § 15-6-6(a), all other rules are provisionally effective on the twentieth day after being filed, not counting the day of filing. In either case a later effective date may be specified as part of the rules being filed. A rule which is not yet effective or a provisionally effective rule may be suspended in the manner specified by § 1-26-38 any time prior to the first day of July of the year following the year in which it became, or would have become, effective. The rule's provisional status ends at that time, and the rule may not thereafter be suspended by the rules committee. Unless suspended, a provisionally effective rule shall be enforced by the agency and the courts as if it were not so conditioned.
No rule promulgated after June 30, 1975, is valid unless adopted in compliance with § 1-26-4 or 1-26-5, and this section and copies of the rule are made available to the public upon request, by the agency.
Source: SDC 1939, §§ 55.1203, 65.0106; SL 1966, ch 159, §§ 3, 4 (1); SDCL, § 1-26-7; SL 1972, ch 8, §§ 7, 10, 12; SDCL Supp, § 1-26-6.4; SL 1973, ch 9, § 1; SL 1974, ch 16, §§ 5, 7; SL 1975, ch 16, § 12; SL 1976, ch 15, § 4; SL 1977, ch 13, § 7; SL 1978, ch 13, § 4; SL 1986, ch 20, § 6; SL 1989, ch 16, § 7; SL 1998, ch 9, § 2; SL 2000, ch 4, § 2; SL 2004, ch 22, § 1.