10-47B-137. Lost fuel--Requirements for tax refund.
Any person engaged in the sale of motor fuel or special fuel and licensed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter, who has lost motor fuel or undyed special fuel, upon which fuel excise tax has been paid to this state, by leakage or theft, or a single incident of loss or destruction caused by fire, flood, tornado, wind storm, or explosion exceeding one hundred gallons, on which the fuel tax imposed by this chapter, has been paid shall be refunded the amount of tax on the lost gallons upon compliance with the following requirements:
(1) The claimant shall notify the secretary of the loss, by registered or certified mail, within ten days after the loss is discovered;
(2) Copies of police reports in cases of theft and insurance reports shall accompany all claims;
(3) Claims for refunds shall be filed with the secretary within thirty days after the loss is discovered, or the claim is thereafter barred;
(4) No claims for a refund for a loss by leakage or theft of less than five hundred gallons may be considered or allowed. Such loss is presumed to be shrinkage; and
(5) The books and records of the claimant shall be available for inspection by the department.
If a claim for refund under this section is allowed and approved by the secretary, the state auditor shall issue a warrant for the amount allowed, upon the presentation of a claim bearing the approval of the secretary.
Source: SL 1995, ch 71, § 134; SL 2013, ch 59, § 16.