2-1-1.4. Affidavit to include information as to residency. A sworn affidavit filed with the secretary of state pursuant to § 2-1-1.1, 2-1-1.2, or 2-1-3.1 shall include information attesting to residency as defined in § 12-1-4 of each petition circulator. The following information shall be included in the affidavit:
(1) Current state in which the petition circulator is licensed to drive, driver license number, and expiration date;
(2) Current state of voter registration;
(3) Length of time at current physical street address and previous two addresses, and whether the prior addresses were located in South Dakota;
(4) A sworn statement by the petition circulator indicating the circulator's intention to stay in the state after the petition circulation deadline;
(5) Any other information relevant to indicate residency, including a library card or utility bill;
(6) Whether the petition circulator pays in-state tuition at any public postsecondary educational institution, if applicable; and
(7) Whether the petition circulator obtains any resident hunting or resident fishing license of any kind, if applicable.
The information included in the affidavit are factors in determining residency but are not determinative. The contents under this section of any affidavit filed with the secretary of state shall be held confidential by the secretary of state, and the secretary of state may release the contents only to an interested person for purposes of § 2-1-18 and to the attorney general. Failure to substantially comply with the provisions of this section shall disqualify the petitions from a petition circulator not in substantial compliance with this section from being considered. (This section is repealed effective July 1, 2020 pursuant to SL 2019, ch 14, § 2.)
Source: SL 2018, ch 22, § 6.
Get Chapter 2-1