Terms used in this chapter mean:
(1) "Controlled drug or substance," a drug or substance, or an immediate precursor of a drug or substance, listed in Schedules I through IV. The term includes an altered state of a drug or substance listed in Schedules I through IV absorbed into the human body;
(2) "Counterfeit substance," a controlled drug or substance which, or the container of labeling of which, without authorization, bears the trade
mark, trade name, or other identifying mark, imprint, number, or device, or any likeness thereof, of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser other than the person or persons who manufactured, distributed, or dispensed such substance and which thereby falsely purports or is represented to be the product of, or to have been distributed by, such other manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser;
(3) "Deliver" or "delivery," the actual or constructive transfer of a controlled drug, substance, or marijuana whether or not there exists an agency relationship;
(4) "Dispense," to deliver a controlled drug or substance to the ultimate user or human research subject by or pursuant to the lawful order of a practitioner, including the prescribing, administering, packaging, labeling, or compounding necessary to prepare the substance for such delivery, and a dispenser is one who dispenses;
(5) "Distribute," to deliver a controlled drug, substance, or marijuana. Distribution means the delivery of a controlled drug, substance, or marijuana;
(6) "Manufacture," the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, or processing of a controlled drug or substance, either directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis. A manufacturer includes any person who packages, repackages, or labels any container of any controlled drug or substance, except practitioners who dispense or compound prescription orders for delivery to the ultimate user;
(7) "Marijuana," all parts of any plant of the genus cannabis, whether growing or not, in its natural and unaltered state, except for drying or curing and crushing or crumbling. The term includes an altered state of marijuana absorbed into the human body. The term does not include fiber produced from the mature stalks of such plant, or oil or cake made from the seeds of such plant. The term does not include the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than three-tenths of one percent on a dry weight basis;
(8) "Practitioner," a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, podiatry, dentistry, optometry, or veterinary medicine licensed to practice his profession, or pharmacists licensed to practice their profession; physician's assistants certified to practice their profession; government employees acting within the scope of their employment; and persons permitted by certificates issued by the Department of Health to distribute, dispense, conduct research with respect to, or administer a substance controlled by chapter
(9) "Precursor" or "immediate precursor," a substance which the Department of Health has found to be and by rule designates as being a principal compound commonly used or produced primarily for use, and which is an immediate chemical intermediary used or likely to be used, in the manufacture of a controlled drug or substance, the control of which is necessary to prevent, curtail, or limit such manufacture;
(10) "Schedule I," "Schedule II," "Schedule III," and "Schedule IV," those schedules of drugs, substances, and immediate precursors listed in chapter
(11) "Ultimate user," a person who lawfully possesses a controlled drug or substance for that person's own use or for the use of a member of that person's household or for administration to an animal owned by that person or by a member of that person's household.
SL 1976, ch 158, §
; SL 1977, ch 189, § 88; SL 1984, ch 239, § 2; SL 1985, ch 185, § 1; SL 1986, ch 306, § 5; SL 2001, ch 116, § 1, SL 2020, ch 176, § 22, eff. Mar. 27, 2020.