34-45-20. Board duties.
The board shall:
(1) Evaluate all of the current public safety answering points and systems throughout the State of South Dakota for their capability to adequately and efficiently administer systems;
(2) Develop plans for the implementation for a uniform statewide 911 system covering the entire state or so much as is practicable;
(3) Monitor the number and location of public safety answering points or systems and the use of 911 emergency surcharge funds in their administrative and operational budgets;
(4) Develop criteria and minimum standards for operating and financing public safety answering points or systems;
(5) Develop criteria for the eligibility and amount of reimbursement of recurring and nonrecurring costs of public safety answering points or systems;
(6) Develop criteria for the implementation of performance audits of the use of the 911 fees utilized in the operation of the 911 system. The audit shall be conducted by the Department of Legislative Audit and shall be presented to the board and the Legislature;
(7) Report annually to the Government Operations and Audit Committee about the operations and findings of the board and any recommendations for changes in the surcharges imposed by this chapter and the distribution of the revenue; and
(8) Report annually to the Governor and the Legislature about the operations and findings of the board and any recommendations for changes to 911 service in the state.
Source: SL 1998, ch 214, § 3; SL 2008, ch 176, § 19; SL 2012, ch 188, § 23.
Get Chapter 34-45