36-10B-1. Definition of terms.
Terms used in this chapter mean:
(1) "Accredited college or university," a college or university accredited by the United States regional accrediting agencies recognized by the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation and the United States Department of Education;
(2) "Board," the South Dakota State Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners;
(3) "Commission," the Commission on Dietetic Registration that is a member of the National Commission for Certifying Agencies;
(4) "Committee," the Nutrition and Dietetics Advisory Committee to the board;
(5) "Dietitian," a person who engages in nutrition or dietetics practice and uses the title dietitian pursuant to § 36-10B-2;
(6) "Licensed nutritionist," a person licensed under this chapter;
(7) "Nutritionist," a person who engages in nutrition or dietetics practice and uses the title of nutritionist pursuant to § 36-10B-2;
(8) "Nutrition care services," any of the following:
(a) Assessment of the nutritional needs of individuals or groups;
(b) Establishment of priorities, goals, and objectives to meet nutritional needs;
(c) Provision of nutrition counseling for both normal and therapeutic needs;
(d) Development, implementation, and management of nutrition care services; or
(e) Evaluation, adjustment, and maintenance of appropriate standards of quality in nutrition care;
(9) "Nutritional assessment," the evaluation of the nutritional needs of individuals or groups based on appropriate biochemical, anthropometric, physical, and dietary data to determine nutrient needs and recommend appropriate nutritional intake;
(10) "Nutrition counseling," advising and assisting individuals or groups on appropriate nutritional intake by integrating information from the nutritional assessment with information on food and other sources of nutrients and meal preparation consistent with cultural background and socioeconomic status.
Source: SL 1996, ch 240, § 1.