A medical assistant under the responsibility and direct supervision of a person licensed to practice medicine in the State of South Dakota may perform the following duties:
(1) Performing clinical procedures to include:
(a) Performing aseptic procedures;
(b) Taking vital signs;
(c) Preparing patients for examination;
(d) Phlebotomous blood withdrawal and nonintravenous injections; and
(e) Observing and reporting patients' signs or symptoms;
(2) Administering basic first aid;
(3) Assisting with patient examinations or treatment;
(4) Operating office medical equipment;
(5) Collecting routine laboratory specimens;
(6) Administering medications by unit dosage;
(7) Performing basic laboratory procedures; and
(8) Performing office procedures including all general administrative duties.
Source: SL 1991, ch 304, § 2.
Get Chapter 36-9B